Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently i picked up a pretty rough, raptor 660. I purchased it knowing there were electrical problems, thinking i could easily fix them. Boy was i wrong :crying . So i went through the routine of checking for no spark. I tested the plug by placing it in my dirtbike, had spark. Checked the coil resistance, not reading great so i ordered one of those to be safe. I also ordered a new stator as ours read dead short on some of the terminals. these two problems i know will be resolved with the new parts. The thing im most concerned about is this black wire. its a black wire coming from the CDI that looks like its running to the spark plug coil. however, this wire was cut. upon giving the starter solenoid power, all of the lights work, as well as the ignition button, but when we try to connect the black wire back together, it gets very hot, sparks, and in our first extreme test, smoked :eek . Any Help at all would be greatly appreciated.

(and yes, i did try unplugging the rectifier/regulator to no avail. :sad )

Also forgot to mention, i have a new CDI and both yield the same result. im just mainly focused on finding out why that black wire is causing shorting somewhere.

·
8,529 Posts
Cut wires make diagnosis a real pain from the computer screen. I would trace the wires out using the manual and see where the black wire is supposed to be. The next problem will be possible damage to the CDI with what damage the shorting of that wire could cause.

There will be some troubleshooting charts in the manual that may help you trace down the root of the problem as well.

Look in here - https://www.bluetraxx.com/forums/yamaha-yfm660r-raptor-2001-2005/66635-raptor-tech-thread-archive-links-important-topics.html

Welcome to the forums and keep asking and we will help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forums/vbseo.php on this server.

is what i get when i try to click on the wiring diagram section.

But, from what i can tell, that black wire coming from the cdi is supposed to go to ground. so i grounded it and no sparking or smoking of that wire anymore. if i get my new stator and it still wont spark, i know there is still a wiring problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We replaced the stator, coil, cdi, and still nothing. we stripped the wiring harness completely off, and are going to try and locate the source of the problem. we dont want to resort to buying a new wiring harness, as they are really expensive and uncommon used, especially on a 2001 660.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
check the crank sensor. did you use the cheap ebay knock off electronics? they have at least a 40% fail rate out of the box. chasing the wires out on the harness is a good first step

1 - 7 of 7 Posts