Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, please keep in mind that I am doing this for my non-mechanically inclined brother. He just got this bike. When at the buyees' house, he tried to start it and the starter would spin and spin and spin and then finally started. He says that this happens every time he tries to start it. The previous owner said that the starter was "brand new". Any ideas? I ride a VFR and am on VFRWolrld and those guys know everything, so I figured that you all do too.

Is the flywheel just spinning? Doesn't it have a keyway?
Is there supposed to be a shim on the starter that might not be there?
Do the starters have solenoids like car starters?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, that's kinda what I thought too, but today we got a flywheel puller and yanked it off and to our amazement, we found that the flywheel key either isn't the right one or is sheared off enough to let the flywheel spin over the top of it. The inside of the flywheel where it slides over the crank is all scarred up from it spinning over the top of the key. He is going to purchase a new key and reassemble and see what happens.

Is there a specific way to snug the flywheel back onto the crank?
Do you all have a link to a manual I can download?
Also, I couldn't find the tag on it because some ******* painted the whole thing with with a brush and they painted over every sticker and warning plate.
The vin is jy43jdw0xya290291. Anyone know how to disect it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so my brother decided to put things back together using the old woodruff key and re-installed the starter to see if possibly they just installed the flywheel magneto improperly before. He bumped the starter and said that the flywheel is just spinning away on the crank.

Any ideas?

Is the driven gear (starter) on the back of the flywheel supposed to have a clutch system in it, or is it supposed to be mounted stationary to the flywheel?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts