Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I start, realize I am VERY new to ATVs. Got my first one last year. 1999 Yamaha Lakota 300. I bought my wife a 2000 warrior 350 last week for her b-day and it is in perect condition, no scratches, garage kept. Started up and rode great except that it's pretty cold natured. No smoke at all. Thought I heard some valve clatter, but once it warmed up, it went away. It has been riden almost daily for a week with no problem other than then warming up. Anyway, checked the oil yesterday and it was less than a half quart low. Without knowing, it was topped with 15w40 for my diesel. Kids rode it last night and they said it was smoking a little. They rode again this morning and when I saw it smoking, I had them stop and checked, and it was a whole quart low with oil pouring out the exhaust.
Any idea what damage has been done and how much it will cost?
Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well guy if its smoking all the time Im suspecting the rings are toast. These motors are damn near bullet proof but no motor will last without oil. If the rings are burnt up do to lack of oil i would say the valve seals, valve guides, cam, and/or rocker arms could be hurt also. I know this from experience because before i got my 87, my wifes cousins owned it, and they ran the motor out of oil completely, do to the chain popped and broke the case, and it wiped out the every part in the head, piston, rings, cylinder, and tore up the crank bearings pretty bad also.

My advice if your not the best with tearing these motors apart is to find a shop you can trust and have them check it out and see what the damage is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts