Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know I haven't posted on here much but ever since we put the alba pipe/jet/intake kit on our rappy ive been hooked on it. Next was some new OMF beadlock wheels with 9 paddle extremes and sand star fronts. Now what used to be our night time "chase vehicle" for our buggy is rivaling my YZ250 as far as the amount of time I spend riding it. Now that im riding it alot more, im noticing how much I hate the stock front suspension. I just can't ride it for hours on end like my bike. Ive been lookin around a bit and here are the 2 set-ups in considering. Note: I ride mainly all DUNES, with occasional trips to ocotillo.

set-up 1 - Herrmann Racing +2+0 w/16" elka's w/rezzies

set-up 2 - Houser Racing +2+0 Long Travel w/19" elka's w/rezzies

The upper on the herrmann is Heimed while the Houser is bushing.

Thanks for your input and if you can share any personal experience that would be great. Thanks for your time guys.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
long travel will give u just that more travel, whatever works for you i guess,

hey just wondering but why did you put beadlocks on paddle tires? :wtf:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FMF FREAK - We went with beadlocks on the paddle tires because we constantly were gettin lil stones stuck between the bead and tire, causing them to randomly go low, and so we got tired of prying them out and scratching up our rims. We also got a good deal on them so why not, they look sick as hell too. And do you have any experience with suspension?

I am just debating whether the extra cash for LT is worth it. This is our first quad and I don't know what to expect from +2 arms and 16" elka's. I just want to be able to pound whoops in 4th and 5th without worry. With the stock suspension I always bite my lip when im tearin down sand highway and come into a set off whoops, I never know how its gonna act.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't know about long travel suspension but the step up to elkas alone really impressed me. I got +2 arms on now and it's even better. If I was strictly riding on sand, I wouldn't even think of going long travel unless you're catching some serious air.

Sure if I had the cash to throw around I probably would have gotten +1 houser LT and 19"elkas off the bat, but after getting 16" elkas and +2 arms, I am more than happy.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Either way, you will be impressed. If you get the +2 set-up and new shocks, it will be WAY better than stock. If you go with Elka's, make sure you get the Dune Edition as they are valved better for those high speed whoop runs you are talking about! :tup:

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
RaptorCam said:
Either way, you will be impressed. If you get the +2 set-up and new shocks, it will be WAY better than stock. If you go with Elka's, make sure you get the Dune Edition as they are valved better for those high speed whoop runs you are talking about! :tup:
I got to agree with Cam... I just slapped a set of new shocks on my bike and left the arms alone, but the change can only be explained by WOW. The long travel will be a little softer of a ride since there is more movement available so the ride will be very very smooth, but they are extra cash....

If you go with the LT front though I have to recommend going with a LT rear setup also though to even out the bike more. When I ride the woops I sit way back so my rear does a lot of work. With too soft of a front you are going to be getting a lot of "buck" from the rear end. I talked to Todd at TCS a while back about ZPS shocks, he basically told me that it is a good idea to have the same style suspention all around, otherwise you are going to get that "bucking" effect.

Just something to take into consideration when looking into the package.

So bottom line, if you can afford the LT setup and do not mind investing the money that route, the ride will be smoother than a stock style setup. But if you are tight on cash or would rather put the money other places you will be very happy with a standard setup also. I ride my bike across the sand woops in third pinned and get very little movement in the bike. So when it comes to suspention, any upgrade is a killer improvement.

Hope this helps. :tup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off thanks for the responses guys. It doesn't seem like the LT set-up is as desired as I would have thought, and I can see why just going with shocks and some standard +2 arms would make a big difference over stock. I hope I can wait it out because ELKA isn't offering the dune edition for the raptor yet. They said the next couple months hopefully. I also really like the look of the herrmann arms and the price on those isn't bad either. Are there any other popular LT arms for the raptor that cost less than $800 besides the housers? And ELKA said that if I go with comp and rebound I will lose 2" of travel over just comp. adjustable shocks. so I dunno what to do now, I was hoping for comp. and rebound adjustments but want the travel as well.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I do not see the point in the rebound adjustments. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the rebound adjustment just allow you to adjust how fast the shock transfers from compressed to stock sitting position? If so, why would you want to slow that down, wouldn't it just make you more apt to bottom out?
TCS told me they do not add rebound adjustments because they are really not worth the added money, and I can see what they are saying (again, assuming I am correct).
Just a thought (trying to learn a little more)... :hey:

As far as cheaper companies, I would give RaptorCam a ring and see what he can do for you. He runs RSP so I am sure he will know of any arms within that price range. :tup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Have you checked Janssen Motorsports? I know several people in my area that run their outlaw LT arms. They always have deals going. Elka recommended them to me several times but i decided to go with Lone Star.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
festa171 said:
Have you checked Janssen Motorsports? I know several people in my area that run their outlaw LT arms. They always have deals going. Elka recommended them to me several times but i decided to go with Lone Star.
Just be careful with them, I have seen some posts on here about some people that have gotten burned with Janssen... Just FYI.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just looked at janssenmotorsports.com but didn't find long travel arms listed for the raptor, just the YFZ. Thanks for the heads up tho Tease405.
I am used to having rebound adjustability( ie. my bike, my xr50 I-shock, my Kona DH bike, our buggy) but to be honest I don't tinker with them much, I just like to have the option. I know rebound affects the speed at which the shock return after compression, and for the smooth dunes and long whoops I slow it down, but for riding in occotillo and san felipe I speed it up a bit. Just my opinion on what feels better to me tho. I could do without the rebound adj. tho im sure.

Any other companies you guys recommend checkin out? Anyone running Herrmann Arms or Houser?

·
Registered
139 Posts
They definitely have long travel for the Raptor. They probably just don't list them on the website. I know they had them when I spoke to them 6 months ago in +3 or +1 widths. I would give them a call if I were you and see if they still have that long travel special. A while back they were selling 19" SSD elkas, LT arms and extended brakelines for $1650 on ebay. In dirtwheels it's advertised as $1795 so there may be some bargaining room.

Tease - I did see a couple of negative posts about their customer service, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a company that hasn't had any complaints on this site.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
festa171 said:
Tease - I did see a couple of negative posts about their customer service, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a company that hasn't had any complaints on this site.
I agree... Every company has its good and bad transactions. From my personal experience they always responded to my questions, but when RaptorCam sent them a dealer request they never got back to him (not even to say sorry but we do not go through dealers). I did not like that, but that alone is not a reason to write off a company. I just wanted to point out the possible bad side to the company basically so neverenough would not possible drawback to the company, thus make a sound and informed decision. Not saying they are a bad company (I almost bought a set of arms from them before I desided to leave her stock) just saying to look into them further before making a buy. This site is huge so yes bad transactions are bound to happen, but if you can only find bad transactions, or most all are bad, then IMO your best bet is to steer clear of the company... Just my 2 cents. :D

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
LT is nice if you jump big, more time for the shock valving to act against the shock stem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea jumping the quad is alot different that my bike but im startin to get used to it. I am gonna wait on it a bit and see how my funds play out after the holidays. Im hoping to wait for the dune edition elka's either way and herrmann is now making LT arms for the raptor that use a 19.5 ELKA and they claim 12+ travel. I don't race or ride tracks but as far as buggies go we went from 18 to 21+ inchs of travel and it made a big difference so I would think quads would be the same, travel can't be a bad thing........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts