Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I'm new here and have recently been looking into purchasing a used 450.

Ive seen a couple on craigslist, ebay, etc, and then saw one locally and they've really sparked my interest.

I've been riding dirt bikes since I was about 12, but I've always wanted a quad.

The local 450 is an 04 special edition (black plastics) and looks to be in immaculate shape. The guy says there are less than 35 hours on it - because he never really rides it and wants to purchase a 4x4 quad. He wants $3850.00 for it.

The photos below are of a different quad about 2 hours away from my house, same year/model (04 SE) - but looks to have a little more wear and tear. He wants $3,000 (but its been for sale for about 3 weeks, so I may be able to talk him down).

Take a look at the photos below and let me know if you see anything that stands out (sorry they are so huge, I kept trying to get them smaller in photobucket... but it wasn't working)

Pics are:

1. Left engine
2. Right engine
3. overall photo

·
Registered
74 Posts
Both those prices are too high for an '04.

I recently paid $3500 for an '06 in awesome shape. I would look at getting an '07 or newer if at all possible to avoid the dreaded need for engine work.

I should have done more reading before buying or I would have done the same...

·
Registered
301 Posts
i payed 3800 for an 04' in 07' The 3000 wouldn't be bad and the bike looks nice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm from Michigan - about 15 minutes SW of Detroit.

Any other ideas on where to look besides Craigslist, eBay, or cycle trader?

Brighton Powersports has a last years model 2008 yfz450 for $4,999 (not sure about any other "fees") - but I dont want to spend that much.

I want to keep it under $3k

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Is it me or does it look like the frame look dented where the swing arm bolt goes in on the first pic?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea can someone comment on whether or not that frame looks bent there?

Also - the engine covers near the foot pegs look a little beat up, on both sides - is this normal?

I'm narrowing down a few options, its this one (photos above, for $2800 or maybe less if I negotiate) or a 04 Raptor 660R Special Edition for $2850.

450 is 2.5 hours south of me, Raptor is 2 hours north

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Yea can someone comment on whether or not that frame looks bent there?

Also - the engine covers near the foot pegs look a little beat up, on both sides - is this normal?

I'm narrowing down a few options, its this one (photos above, for $2800 or maybe less if I negotiate) or a 04 Raptor 660R Special Edition for $2850.
450 is 2.5 hours south of me, Raptor is 2 hours north

the frame doesnt look bent to me, i think its just the weird wearing from boots,

its the same thing your seeing on the sides of the motor, thats where your boots rub when your riding, and it scratches stuff up, although wear like that makes me think its been riding a good bit, and ridden hard, so dont let him tell you it hasnt been ridden much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just traded my 2003 CRF450 dirtbike which is worth 2500 for a 2006 YFZ450 straight up with almost no ride time on it. I would say at the most 3000 grand for an 04.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts