Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a warrior and rebuilt the OEM carb on it and it ran great until I would get into high 3rd gear or 4th and sometimes it would slowly loss power and cut off. I checked the sparks plug and replaced it. It backfires loud at times and I would have to sand the sparks plug every once and a while. and now i don't know what's wrong because it won't start.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
You need to look for cracks in the boot. Will it start with starting fluid. Do you have acess to a compression testor

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
the cracks can be really hard to see, you have to move the carb around some to open them up sometimes, but if your sure we can move on. nest we need to know if it will start with starting fluid and if it has compression. you say its a 99 so no rope start or compression release, correct. you can normally borrow a compression testor from auto zone or a similar store. to start you need three thing fuel/air spark and compression. we know you have spark so we need to find out if you have fuel, thats why we need to try with starter fluid. and test for compression you can put your thumb over the hole and you should not be able to keep it there when you are cranking but we really need a number. get me those answers and then we can move on

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the cracks can be really hard to see, you have to move the carb around some to open them up sometimes, but if your sure we can move on. nest we need to know if it will start with starting fluid and if it has compression. you say its a 99 so no rope start or compression release, correct. you can normally borrow a compression testor from auto zone or a similar store. to start you need three thing fuel/air spark and compression. we know you have spark so we need to find out if you have fuel, thats why we need to try with starter fluid. and test for compression you can put your thumb over the hole and you should not be able to keep it there when you are cranking but we really need a number. get me those answers and then we can move on
yes it's electric start, and it starts now, and it has spark. but it still doesn't want to run. do u think that it could be the needle in the carb. i will see if auto zone has a compression tester

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The needle controls the fuel curve from 1/4 throttle up. I thought you had said it didn't start. Sorry. Describe how it runs. Something other than not well. Things like starts but won't idle. Of fades on the top end. Probably not the needle but it sure could be carb. A compression test will rule out top end damage or valve adjustment. Make sure the throttle is wide open when you do the compression test

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The needle controls the fuel curve from 1/4 throttle up. I thought you had said it didn't start. Sorry. Describe how it runs. Something other than not well. Things like starts but won't idle. Of fades on the top end. Probably not the needle but it sure could be carb. A compression test will rule out top end damage or valve adjustment. Make sure the throttle is wide open when you do the compression test
So when I get it started and whether or not your in neutral or in gear if u rev it up it'll backfire loudly, and if you are riding it u can feel it not getting the amount of power that it could be getting. Also when u have the throttle wide open it'll fade to a stop the cut off. To get it started i just messed with the carb and choke and it'll start, but it won't stay idle no longer then a minute after that. Most of the time it won't run unless the choke is on all the way as well. I don't know what it's called but the plunger thing that enriches the fuel, could that be a problem?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Attachments

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The enrichener is not likey the problem. First and best guess with those symptoms. Is a vacuum leak between the carb and the head. Very common on a warrior. With it running spray some starting fluid around that boot move the carb around while you are doing it and see if it revs up. I assume the air filter is clean. Check the valve adjustment. If not those things next best guess is the carb is dirty or bad fuel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The enrichener is not likey the problem. First and best guess with those symptoms. Is a vacuum leak between the carb and the head. Very common on a warrior. With it running spray some starting fluid around that boot move the carb around while you are doing it and see if it revs up. I assume the air filter is clean. Check the valve adjustment. If not those things next best guess is the carb is dirty or bad fuel
ok i will do that and check everything

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has compression and it starts without starter fluid. We think that the carb may need to be adjusted, because we tried everything you told me and checked for cracks. It just sputters under heavy throttle.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Best and most accurate way is to pull the flywheel and look but if you dont have a puller or want to do that. Pull the plug and stick a wood dowel in the hole. Make sure you don't break it. A zip the will work to but its tougher to feel the piston because it's flexible. Slowly turn the machine over by hand I till you find top dead center on the compression stroke. Then make sure you timing mark on the cam and flywheel line up correctly. A sheared flywheel key is one cause of a machine with spark that won't start

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Best and most accurate way is to pull the flywheel and look but if you dont have a puller or want to do that. Pull the plug and stick a wood dowel in the hole. Make sure you don't break it. A zip the will work to but its tougher to feel the piston because it's flexible. Slowly turn the machine over by hand I till you find top dead center on the compression stroke. Then make sure you timing mark on the cam and flywheel line up correctly. A sheared flywheel key is one cause of a machine with spark that won't start
It starts already just when put into gear it doesn't get enough power

1 - 20 of 25 Posts