Blue Traxx Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I Have and it is where it should be. I think i need to try a leak down test. could it possibly be clutch plates gone bad? Its not slipping or anything just wondering if that could slow it down since it starts fine and runs fine just doesn't have top speed, around 20-30 max

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
if it was clutch plates you would hear it slipping. can you remove the air box and look into the carb when you hit the throttle and see if the slide is going all the way up. that almost has to be the issue. this is a zoom zoom carb correct?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have checked the thumb throttle and it is all the way out so doesn't appear to be the issue.

Does the 1995 wolverine have the same Parking Brake issues as other year wolverines? If so my wiring appears to be different that all the others with the issue on the internet

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
i dont know on the parking brake you would have to consult your wiring diagram. but it should have the same issue. so with a vacuum slide the thumb throttle can bottom out and the slide still not move all the way did you physically look at the slide

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I did check the slide, I also adjusted the slide on it to see if that would help and no change.

Could it possibly be something with the stator Or CDI? I don't think stator due to the fact that it is not getting super hot, but I do not know much about electrical.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
heat is not necessarily an indication of a bad stator as they are bathed in the oil from the machine so generally they are the same temp as the engine. if the stator got hot enough to be noticeable above the engine temp i think you would have a fire but for sure it would be smoking. it could be the stator, pickup or source coil. it could also be a bad primary coil. there is step by step instructions in the manual and specifications for each listed. as far as the cdi goes anything is possible but normally they work or dont in general they dont work poorly. it sounds to me like you have effectively ruled out everything but electrical so i think this is a good next step for you

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The saga continues. I caved and brought it to the dealer and they rebuilt the carb after I told them I have done that as well as replaced the carb. But shocking no change still tops out at 20mph.

I said well could I be electrical and they stated no because it revs up just fine in neutral, but I don't think that would be a good indication that it's not electrical.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update, got the ATV back after 35 days at the dealer and $300 + dollars and runs the exact same. I wanted them to look at the electrical and all they did was clean an rebuild the carb which I told them I already did. I should have known that, lesson learned.

Is there a compression release on the Wolverine? I'm not sure if it has one or not and unsure how to fix that.

If not that I need to look at electrical but I'm. Jot sure where to start and I'm not very good at troubleshooting electrical.

·
Super Moderator
8,505 Posts
I don't think the put compression release on wolverines. I would read up on how to test the stator. Make sure to clean all the wires and connections around the reverse shifter first..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The dealer just called and said that they tried a newer style carb off an newer Wolverine and no change. So they said they slapped the CDI and that some to make it run better but I do think that would happen, especially since the only way you can tell it doesn’t run right is while driving it. I think it would be difficult to slap the CDI while driving and can’t imagine that would make any change.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
i dont know on the inner change but if you think it is the cdi dont go cheap. i am bulding a bayou 300 right now and put a cal trec on it and now it runs just like yours. they sent me a new one and i have not got to try it yet but i am pretty sure i just threw away 25 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
8,505 Posts
Have you tested the stator?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Found a CDI for it and still no change.

I haven’t tested the stator yet, that’s next. I’m not 100% sure how to test it so that’s why I brought it to the dealer and they are not sure what’s happening so it’s a weird one. Idles just fine but tops out at 20mph frustrating

Thanks everyone for all the input, I do appreciate it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have replaced the CDI box and no change.

If the stator is bad would the machine start and run but run slow? Or with a bad stator would it just not run at all?

It does have 90psi for compression but the weird thing about that is that I replaced the jug and piston and it still only has 90psi and according to the dealer it passed a leak down test so I assumed that the compression test is probably not a good test. Is that the case? I know that’s a dumb question but I’m starting to question myself now that I still can’t get this thing fixed.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts