Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 1987 warrior 350, getting no spark out of the ign coil, ive done all the test and everything comes back fine, ive tried different stators, cdi boxes, rectifiers. new key switch, and kill switch.... but i noticed that i would get 35v AC out of the red and brown wire coming from the stator to the cdi (unplugged), if i plug it in and probe it, i loose the voltage and get nothing, any ideas on what i should be looking for?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
i dont have a diagram in front of me to answer what that wire is but if every electrical component tests good and you have unwrapped the harness and ruled out any shorts it is likely the cdi

·
Registered
58 Posts
You say you have a new key switch, is it genuine OEM yamaha from a dealer or aftermarket. If it is aftermarket you will never have a spark, it is the wrong switch regardless of what it says. Do this, turn the key switch off and jump the solenoid to start it. I bet you have spark then. The reason you lose the exciter voltage is that a circuit in the CDI shorts out the exciter unless the black/red wire is grounded and the wrong key switch does not do this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tom bauer. I appreciate the info. That fixed my no spark problem. I'll be ordering an OEM key switch no doubt. I just bought an 87 warrior that wasn't getting spark after replacing stator, coils, spark plugs it turns out to be the cheap aftermarket key switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You say you have a new key switch, is it genuine OEM yamaha from a dealer or aftermarket. If it is aftermarket you will never have a spark, it is the wrong switch regardless of what it says. Do this, turn the key switch off and jump the solenoid to start it. I bet you have spark then. The reason you lose the exciter voltage is that a circuit in the CDI shorts out the exciter unless the black/red wire is grounded and the wrong key switch does not do this.
Thank you soo much, so nice to be able to ride my quad now

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tom bauer. I appreciate the info. That fixed my no spark problem. I'll be ordering an OEM key switch no doubt. I just bought an 87 warrior that wasn't getting spark after replacing stator, coils, spark plugs it turns out to be the cheap aftermarket key switch.
Where did you find a cdi box for it ? I gave same issue, 87 , 88 warrior no spark what so ever... I'm thinking cdi box, stator tested in range

1 - 8 of 8 Posts