Blue Traxx Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1987 warrior which has been pleasant to ride… up until a month ago… anyways the first issue I had with it was when I bought it, the clutch engagement point was all the way at the end of the lever. When I tried to adjust the clutch it wouldn’t move the engagement point at all. About 4 months later the engine bogged down and died, I started it back up (it ran crappy) put in the clutch, tried to put it in reverse and the reverse got stuck right in the middle, I cant move it back to the fully forward, or backward position anymore. I’m not sure if all these could have a problem in common, but considering I replaced the spark plug, the carburetor (which was tuned to factory warrior spec just so you know), and had some fresh 91 in it with a new fuel filter, i’m kinda thinking it has something to do with the clutches.
When I bought it the guy said he had a clutch job on it, not sure by who, but it was by someone who uses wire nuts on an atv so not sure how much I trust that job was done correctly either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is bad. I'd rip the cover off and inspect it. They might have not put something back in, or broke one(or more) of the clutch basket bolts. If you drain the oil, you can look at the pick-up screen and see if there is a bunch of metal on it(or clutch material). Or they may have not torqued much of it correctly and it just loosened up.

Only way to know is to tear into it, but it's not that bad. Make sure you have a ph3 phillips tip, and a good pair of small vise grips if the heads are stripped.

BTW, the wrong oil can fry your clutch real quick. You have to use JASO rated oil. Regular automotive oil contains friction modifiers that will burn/tear wet clutches. Shell rotella, yamalube, or motorcycle specific oils only.

They could have also clocked the clutch lever wrong. You could just try pulling the c-clip and resetting that over the clutch shaft first.

Edit: if you get to draining the oil, alot of material will make its way to plug the oil filter. Pop that cover off, too, and inspect the oil filter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the clutch is bad. I'd rip the cover off and inspect it. They might have not put something back in, or broke one(or more) of the clutch basket bolts. If you drain the oil, you can look at the pick-up screen and see if there is a bunch of metal on it(or clutch material). Or they may have not torqued much of it correctly and it just loosened up.

Only way to know is to tear into it, but it's not that bad. Make sure you have a ph3 phillips tip, and a good pair of small vise grips if the heads are stripped.

BTW, the wrong oil can fry your clutch real quick. You have to use JASO rated oil. Regular automotive oil contains friction modifiers that will burn/tear wet clutches. Shell rotella, yamalube, or motorcycle specific oils only.

They could have also clocked the clutch lever wrong. You could just try pulling the c-clip and resetting that over the clutch shaft first.

Edit: if you get to draining the oil, alot of material will make its way to plug the oil filter. Pop that cover off, too, and inspect the oil filter
When I did the oil change, I found a lot of metal shavings. I didn’t think much of it at the time but I did make sure to put in JASO rated oil But whoever did the clutch job last probably didn’t do it correctly. I have it in the shop now just to have someone get it done properly this time. But I hope and pray my reverse isn’t screwed. Once I hear something i’ll let you know of his findings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is only 1 clutch. No seperate one for reverse. Reverse is like a seperate gear engagement, like shifting. Hope it's just a simple issue. These are so old, it should not cost a fortune to fix. Plenty of these motors out there, if yours is messed up.

I went from an 87, to a 94, to my latest 2007 raptor 350. Almost everything is the same. All the hard parts are the same. Only electronics, and minor upgrades, have changed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, so the mechanic I took it to got the reverse unstuck, it was just the linkage for the reverse that got stuck, so he got that fixed, one issue down. 2nd, engine running like crap, he put a spark tester on it and found out the spark was intermittent. His thought is the stator, and if not that my guess is the coil or plug wire. But while hes in there hes going to fix the clutch job that the “wire nut man” did so far good news and nothing catastrophic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts