Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im ready for more power and wondered the downside to a 12:1 piston. I was ready for an 11:1 till I talked to the bike shop and he suggested the 12:1. Im deffinately using the stage 1 cam as he wants $120 for the machine work for the head. Plus springs. So a stage 1 from a supporting vendor will be in order as for the piston I will get from him as he will hone and check the cylinder with the piston purchase. Im worried about the rod I guess with the 12:1 and which is the best piston for the money? I plan on trail riding and a couple trips to the dunes. I can take a better gas for the trails also. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
well i know that i am one of the fewthat has had this happen but i had an 11:1 piston in my quad and the stock rod let go, so if i were you i would also get a beefier crank to go with the piston especially if you are gonna use the 12:1. that being said i would just go 11:1 because that is a big ass piston to be running that compression. but i would talk to a couple of good builders about this, they will prolly tell you to go stage 2 cam and 11:1

·
Registered
897 Posts
12:1 CP
Corillo Rod
Hot Cams stage 2
Web or KW Springs

Save the money until you can do all! :nod: :tup:

What machine work is he talking about? Portwork cause you don't need to do anything to put the cam in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The machine work was for the stage 2. Hes kinda pricey on things but that is all we have here. As for the piston Im wanting the wisco cause of cost but a couple guys here talk up the CP. Lots more $$ but is it relly worth it? TIA

·
Registered
897 Posts
Go with the CP or JE and the rod. If you go with the 12:1 you will want the Hot Cams 2. It will help spread the powerband from just bottom. There is no difference in "drop-in ability" between the two stages. Have the guy hone the cylinder if it is needed, split the cases, put in a corillo rod, and put in the piston, cam, and springs. There is no machine work needed unless you have portwork done. Also have new seal put in some of the key areas like output shaft and water pump. etc

IMO

·
Registered
825 Posts
Some heads require the center intake guide to be machined down 1mm in order to run a more agressive cam such as the stage 2, x 4, x14 etc. etc. Not every head needs it done but some do and alot of people have it done just as a precautionary measure. I personally wouldnt put a higher comp piston in unless you replace the rod. I also would stay as far away from the JE pistons as possible. JMO though!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the searchs Ive done here I thought a 11:1 was ok with the stock rod. I just wanted more out of the raptor. It has very low hours and I dont bwant to go too far into the engine. Its either an 11:1 and cam or nothing till it needs gone through. Thanks for the help. I see alot of guys going with this so I figured I would try it too.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The 12:1 should run pump 93 with a hot cams 2 fine. The rod sucks to start with and concidering stock comp is 9.2:1 you are still going up to an 11:1. I say stick the new cam in and be happy until you get the money for a rod and piston. And if you hit the lottery, a new set of carbs, portwork, and shocks lol.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I don't believe you will be able to run a 12:1 without modifications to the combustion chamber to lower the compression to about 11.5:1....especially with the stage 1 cam. The running compression between those 2 cams will be lower with the stage 2 due to the larger duration as compared to the stage 1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts