Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating between rebuilding the stock carb (again...someday I'll earn to winterize), or replacing it with an upgraded carb. The question is, is it worth upgrading the carb on a bone stock Warrior? What carb would you go with?

I tried searching, but the search feature isn't working for me, so I apologize if this has been asked before, or multiple times.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
the factory carb is awesome for the warrior. in my opinion there is no need to change it out. when you rebuild it install a jd jet kit or a sigma kit and it will run great. you dont list any mods but if you open the air box, install a k&n and a cheap dg slip on with the jet kit you will get a significant boost of power and rideability. let me know if you need specifics on the mods. short answer fix your stock carb is the best option

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the factory carb is awesome for the warrior. in my opinion there is no need to change it out. when you rebuild it install a jd jet kit or a sigma kit and it will run great. you dont list any mods but if you open the air box, install a k&n and a cheap dg slip on with the jet kit you will get a significant boost of power and rideability. let me know if you need specifics on the mods. short answer fix your stock carb is the best option
Right, bone stock, no mods.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
i would do the simple mods, it really makes a huge difference and now is a good time as you will need to re jet the carb anyway

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
most machines come from the factory very lean and almost always need rejetting for optimal performance. the short short story is jetting is determined by atmospheric pressure and the volumes of air entering the combustion chamber created by the vacuum the piston moving creates. every engine has an optimal air to fuel mixture (not to be confused with the volume of fuel/air mix) in a nut shell the higher the elevation the less oxygen in the air so you need a smaller jet to maintain the proper air fuel mix. (this is what you o2 sensor does for fuel injected engines) in general changes of more than about 1500 feet need re jetting. it is not as critical in an old 4 stroke but still needs done. the other factor is vacuum/volume, this may not apply to you because you dont have any mods but if you open the air box, install a better breathing filter or pipe makes it easier for the ambient air to enter the cylinder. more air = more oxygen molecules so you need to add more fuel to maintain the optimal air to fuel mix.
proper air fuel mix is critical for ignition and longevity of the engine
the volume of air fuel mixture equates to power more volume more power.
so short story if it ran and you put a stock rebuild kit in it, it should run the same but most likely not optimal. the advantage of the jd jet kit is its a one size fits all. they generally have 2 different needles to change the fuel curve ( when and where the fuel is applied in the rpm range) based on elevation and temp. it will also come with several mains and a couple of pilots for elevations from sea level and up and from stock to modified. with the jd kit you can perfectly jet to your elevation and stock machine and if you decide you want a little more power you already have the jets on hand to match. it comes with a guides that walks you through it. the sigma kit is cheaper but its a one shot deal, tell them what you have and they send the exact parts you need.
the reason now is a good time is if you left ethanol fuel in the carb for the winter the jets are shot and need replaced. you might as well make it run as good as it should
i have no idea your experience level or abilities. if i insulted you with my basic jetting explanation i am sorry. jetting is something i could write volumes on most people would not begin to understand. i would be happy to share what i know with you about it if you would like to get into jetting with out the kit. otherwise with this basic understanding and a good kit you should be able to really make a difference in your machine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts