Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a like new 01 660R that I got for my son, It has and extended axle and a few minor mods. The Trails we ride are on the tighter side and right now in some of the locations he does get out of first gear, ( I have a 15 Acre private track on my property ) his Raptor 250 and DVX 400 he would use up to 3rd on the track. I would like to Gear it down I think. What are stock sprockets supposed to be? What combo is recommended? I would prefer to use stock chain for now. I would like to not gear it down to much so it is still use able on the other more open trails. Thanks

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
first any stock info you need can be found on rocky mountain atvs web site just plug in you machine and it all comes up chains, tire size etc. stock is 13 40 with a 92 link 520 chain. a 12 40 set up will get you the track trail results you want and you can swap the 13 back for wide open stuff. there is enough adjustment you can run the same chain for both. my guess is unless your kid is over 180 pounds you can run stock for both track and trail. we dont ride 4 wheels in the dirt, just sand but you need a similar setup for dunes and dune trails. my wife is 130 pounds and she was able to ride 3 gear pretty much all day with the factory gearing and split 2 and 3 in the trails. it is also the spare bike or the the one we let other people ride so i dropped it to the 12 40 setup. didnt make a ton of difference for her other than she almost never has to drop below 3 in the dunes and it uses more a lot more fuel. for me 240 pounds it made it so i could pull anything in second. with factory gearing once in a while on really steep stuff i would have to drop to first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will this cause any issues with Second gear? I know they are known for issues.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
i shouldnt make any difference. i am not sure what the trigger is for second gear, my friends went out and and she is a small lady in her 40s and rides pretty mellow. it was fine on Friday no noises or anything and on saturday it was shot. i think it is a shifting issues with the 01 that cause the problem but again not sure. i would definitely start watching ebay for an 02-05 trans, my guess is a kid riding it on trails and tracks geared either way its just a matter of time before it breaks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts