1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,585 Posts
Not a chance..

·
Super Moderator
8,585 Posts
Your best bet if you are trying to save a few bucks is find a good bottom end off ebay.

Otherwise its $800 either way you do it. There is an aftermarket 2nd gear set and you have to buy some new 02' and up gears to make it work. Or you can get an 02' and up Yamaha trans, after all the necessary parts. You will need access to a press and feeler gauge and will have to check some clearances going the all Yamaha parts direction.

·
Super Moderator
8,585 Posts
Go with an 02' or newer bottom end.

The Raptor 660 engine came from a European Dual Purpose motorcycle. The second gear engagement dogs were plenty strong for the motorcycle. The added rotating mass and traction was too much load, and Yamaha quickly found out the gear was not sufficient for the Raptor. In 02' they beefed up the transmission for the ATV. Transmission failures are much less common in the 02 and up transmissions.

·
Super Moderator
8,585 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,585 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm not too sure if it's the tranny now or not. All gears will move the quad but it feels like you have the clutch pulled in to some extent. Also the guy I got it from said that the tranny was changed to an '03. I dont know if thats true though. Any thoughts about it possibly having something to do with the clutch??

·
Super Moderator
8,585 Posts
Usually the transmission will clunk and kick out of gear. If it is a smooth 'slipping' its most likely the clutch which is good news!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea thats what I wanted to hear:nod: Ive been looking at clutch kits and I've read that EBC is good and not to get TUSK. What do yall think?

·
Super Moderator
8,585 Posts
The raptor is pretty hard on a clutch, make sure and put something strong in there. I used a Tusk in my warrior and had no troubles with it. I am not sure I would run one against my 720 though. The most recommended clutch on the market is the GYTR clutch kit.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Yea go with the gyt-r clutch/hinson. I installed the tusk once and had to remove because it would have extreme fade when hot. Actually the new tusk plates were thinner than my old oem plates with a micrometer. I have pounded some abuse on the gyt-r clutch and its holding up just great!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts