Need diagnostic help please! - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-28-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Need diagnostic help please!

Hi guys. Can you help me diagnose this issue? I have a 2012YFZ450 carb model. It is a hard start, idles fine, can rev cleanly in neutral, but it is very rough and choppy under power and lacks power. I believe it is electrical. Has anyone had a similar problem and any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 AM

Garage
the first thing to check is the valve clearance.
electrical is not out of the question but normally electrical either works or does not. however there are some things to check.
if you still have the parking brake unplug the wires that go to it, as that switch fails it can cause similar symptoms. if that fixes the issue just leave it unplugged you dont need it. it is a rev limiter to keep you from driving with the brake on
check the 2 small wires going to the coil pack (possibly orange and blue but not positive) i had one break right at the plug and cause intermittent spark with similar symptoms. it took me 2 years to find and a lot of money
you can test everything electrical but the cdi with an ohm meter and a manual. (i see in you next post you are asking about cdis, probably not your issue and definitely dont order one until you have made a proper diagnosis )
my guess is you need a carb rebuild. tell me how the symptoms started from the last time the machine ran correctly. the carb model yfz is my specialty so i will be able to get you fixed up. if you dont have a manual order the clymer paper manual you are going to need it to properly diagnosis your machine. trust me it will pay for its self.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-02-2019, 01:31 AM

Clean the carburetor first....

Quote:
Originally Posted by perplxxd View Post
Hi guys. Can you help me diagnose this issue? I have a 2012YFZ450 carb model. It is a hard start, idles fine, can rev cleanly in neutral, but it is very rough and choppy under power and lacks power. I believe it is electrical. Has anyone had a similar problem and any ideas?

Carburetor cleaning. Quick and fairly easy. You will need carb cleaner, compressed air is also very helpful and a tiny strand of wire to poke the and clean the tiny holes.

Part I

Part II

Part III

It is a good idea to clean the carb if the motorcycle has been sitting unused for awhile and clogging caused the motor to run lean which is hot and hot is bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode