oil change - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
oil change

I just did a oil change. Both bolts were taken out and oil filter was changed. The manual said 2.1 quarts. It took 2.75 before the level on the stick was half way. Is that to much oil and why would the book say not enough oil? I started took it for a ride. Got it good and hot. Still reads half. Looked at many forums cant find any information. Any help would be great! Do not want to over fill it. Thanks Allen

2001 Raptor Black and White- Renthal bars W/Pro grips,FMF Q muffler ,Jet Kit KN Airfilter ,wesco piston,A-arm guards, frame guards, , Alba front bumper plus rear grab bar, Head light protectors,engine frame guards,coolant guard ,maxxis razor 2 Tires, black Alba bead lock rims Powermadd handguards ,Elka shocks,IMS healguards and pegs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 06:19 PM

Garage
were you checking it with the dipstick screwed in or sitting on the threads. you need to fill the oil tank, run it for five minutes, let it set five minutes and check the oil with the dipstick sitting on the threads, not screwed in. there are generally 3 published oil volumes. raptor 660 oil change 1.9 liters (2.01 qts) , oil and filter 1.95 liters (2.06 qts) and new motor 2.3 liters (2.43 qts)
2.75 qts is a lot and you will likely get a lot out of the breather with that much. check the oil using the correct procedure and you should be over, use a syringe and suck out some until you have it right. the published volumes have been right on on my 660

Last edited by cory52000; 07-11-2019 at 06:28 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I leave it sitting on the threads. I am just worried about over filling. I have never put that much in before. It runs fine at the moment. Just don't want anything to go wrong . I have a long ride coming up in a few weeks.

2001 Raptor Black and White- Renthal bars W/Pro grips,FMF Q muffler ,Jet Kit KN Airfilter ,wesco piston,A-arm guards, frame guards, , Alba front bumper plus rear grab bar, Head light protectors,engine frame guards,coolant guard ,maxxis razor 2 Tires, black Alba bead lock rims Powermadd handguards ,Elka shocks,IMS healguards and pegs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 06:29 PM

Garage
using milliliters will make measuring eaiser
post #5 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ok I will suck some oil out. Not sure why the dip stick is reading half way up. Thanks for your help.

post #6 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 08:08 PM

Garage
are you allowing the machine to sit the five minutes before checking. if not that will give a low reading.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes I am . I will check it tonight when I get out of work. See if what it reads. I will grab a needle and 20 cc syringe from work just in case. What would happen if there was to much oil and I ran it a while.? Would it come out anyplace? Thank you for taking the time for answering my questions. I have been changing my oil since I bought the Raptor in 2001 and never had this issue. But in all honesty. I only did one oil bolt never new about the oil bolt below the oil tank. Until this time.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 08:34 PM

Garage
if it is really over full you can get some past the rings but that takes a lot. normally it just blows out the breather and soaks the air box
. mostly just messy
post #9 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well at least it doesn't destroy the engine. Thanks man for helping me out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode