Blue Traxx Forum banner

oil change

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Raptey 
#1 ·
I just did a oil change. Both bolts were taken out and oil filter was changed. The manual said 2.1 quarts. It took 2.75 before the level on the stick was half way. Is that to much oil and why would the book say not enough oil? I started took it for a ride. Got it good and hot. Still reads half. Looked at many forums cant find any information. Any help would be great! Do not want to over fill it. Thanks Allen

#2 · (Edited)
were you checking it with the dipstick screwed in or sitting on the threads. you need to fill the oil tank, run it for five minutes, let it set five minutes and check the oil with the dipstick sitting on the threads, not screwed in. there are generally 3 published oil volumes. raptor 660 oil change 1.9 liters (2.01 qts) , oil and filter 1.95 liters (2.06 qts) and new motor 2.3 liters (2.43 qts)
2.75 qts is a lot and you will likely get a lot out of the breather with that much. check the oil using the correct procedure and you should be over, use a syringe and suck out some until you have it right. the published volumes have been right on on my 660

#3 ·
I leave it sitting on the threads. I am just worried about over filling. I have never put that much in before. It runs fine at the moment. Just don't want anything to go wrong . I have a long ride coming up in a few weeks.

#5 ·
ok I will suck some oil out. Not sure why the dip stick is reading half way up. Thanks for your help.

#7 ·
Yes I am . I will check it tonight when I get out of work. See if what it reads. I will grab a needle and 20 cc syringe from work just in case. What would happen if there was to much oil and I ran it a while.? Would it come out anyplace? Thank you for taking the time for answering my questions. I have been changing my oil since I bought the Raptor in 2001 and never had this issue. But in all honesty. I only did one oil bolt never new about the oil bolt below the oil tank. Until this time.

#9 ·
Well at least it doesn't destroy the engine. Thanks man for helping me out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.