Pre-oiling a machine that hasn't been started in a year - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Pre-oiling a machine that hasn't been started in a year

Have an '11 Griz 700 that hasn't been started in a year due to a dead batt. I'm about to put a new one in and crank her up.

Should I do anything to the engine to prep it for running after sitting for so long? I'm thinking in terms of pre-oiling parts that the oil would have long fallen away from. Would it be a stupid idea to use a turkey baster and put some engine oil into the spark plug hole? Crank it a couple times, replace the plug and then try to start it?

I'm afraid of rubbing metal parts together during the start before the oil pump gets everything lubed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-07-2018, 08:19 AM

Garage
yes you should pre oil. pull the plug and use any light oil. my favorite is marvel mystery oil. crank it a few times by hand if you can at first and repeat and you should be good to go. dont use too much oil and place a rag over the hole so you dont get oil everywhere. your bigger issue will be fuel. i assume that machine is fuel injected so that should be fine. if you use fuel with ethanol and did not use a stabilizer in it that gas will be bad and all of the gas in the fuel lines and injector. drain the fuel and replace it with ethanol free fuel and add the correct amount of sea-foam to help clean the gunk out of the lines and injector. if that has a carb you might get lucky and the sea-foam will work but you may have to clean the carb as well, if it has one. inspect the oil for water. depending on where you live you could get some condensation in the oil just from sitting. i would check the big ground wire and the wire that runs to the starter for corrosion as well.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-09-2018, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks cory that sounds like great advice. I run non-ethanol fuel. Do I have anything to be concerned about fuel system wise?

Do you know if the cylinder of this bike sits vertical to the ground or at an angle? I'd like to put in just enough lube to cover the top of the piston head.

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 11-09-2018 at 04:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-09-2018, 06:54 AM

Garage
its close if not vertical on the raptor 700 but i have not had hands on experience with a 700 griz. if you put half a table spoon or so in the first compression stroke should spread the oil plenty. it not as if it has been sitting abandoned in a field somewhere. its mostly precautionary. you should be good on the fuel system but i would run a tank of seafoam anyway just to make sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode