New Member with a Non Start Warrior - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2020, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

New Member with a Non Start Warrior

Hi guys. Thanks for allowing me to join. I see so much knowledge here. Hopefully I can receive some insight. I bought a 2000 Warrior. For 20 years old...It's in great shape but inside could be a different story. It sat for 6 months before I acquired it. It fired up but I haven't been able to get it out of gear...It stalls and won't start again. I added gas to the fuel already in the tank. The plug was new but lots of carbon. So running rich? The carb could use a cleaning I'm sure. Where should I start so that I end with a running quad. Please and thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-04-2020, 12:03 PM

Garage
start with the clymer manual those carbs are pretty easy but most of them have been apart at one time or another and its really nice to know what it is suposed to look like.
you will need to clean and rebuild the carb. dont be tempted to buy the cheap Chinese carb they are not great and will need rejetted anyway. once you have it disassembled a bath in an ultrasonic clean is best but if you dont have access to that buy a gallon can of carb clean and soak it overnight and then wash it with soap and water. if you have to use carb cleaner make sure you get all of the plastic and rubber off first. make sure you blow all of the water out of it. when you pull the air mix screw out there should be a screw, spring, tiny metal washer and an even smaller o ring make absolute sure you get them out or that the last guy left them out. it will not run with 2 orings in there.
you dont mention any mods but almost all of the warriors out there have a modification to the air box and a slip on with out rejetting and are generally lean
either way now is the perfect time to do some mods. in general warriors are really choked up from the factory and significant gains in rideability can be made for under 200 bucks. this is the combo i have found that has the best bang for the buck cut some holes in the air box lid and cover the with screen ( anything will work but if you want to get fancy order the outter screen i have also used dry wall sanding screens) add a k&n with an outters sock and a dg slip on (100 buck on ebay)
regardless if you do the mods or not order a cheap rebuild kit for the carb off of ebay and then go to sigmas web site and order a jet kit from them. you will need to enter make, model, elevation and modifications done to the machine. they will custom build you a jet kit tailored to your machine and elevation. it also comes with a main above and below for fine tuning or if you go somewhere else to ride. every one i have installed has been spot on first time.
drain all of the fuel and replace it with ethanol free super and add a couple of table spoons of sea foam to the tank
while you have it apart pay very close attention to the intake manifold they are prone to cracks. if it is bad dont buy a knock off only use oem yamaha for this part.
the manuals are 25 bucks on ebay and i cant stress enough how much better it will make your life to have that manual. warriors are great reliable machines but they are commonly abused by shade tree mechanics and the manual will help you make it dependable again.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-06-2020, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so last night I cleaned the carb. I could get it to start but not idle. And it wouldn't start again. The carb was a Chinese special. So we trashed it. Put a working OEM carb from the parts pile on it. The carb is performing as expected. But the same issue. So we pulled plug tested spark. It's ethier barley visible or not sparking at all. We could occasionally get it to start but it would die on heavy throttle. So we changed out coil with a coil we knew worked..Samething...We cleaned and checked all grounds and verified to the best of our ability that the CDI was doing his job. Same thing...The boys are saying Stator. But I'm not ready to say that yet. I'm thinking verify Neutral Relay,Clutch switch first. Any ideas would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-06-2020, 11:33 AM

Garage
neutral relay and clutch switch are only for the crank circuit and have nothing to do with spark if it cranks they are good. warriors are notorious for bad stators and pickup coils. they did not use wires with a high enough heat rating and they tend to break down. i dont have the specs off the top of my head but you should have ohms in the 5 -600 range (sticks in my head but i could be way off) on any white wire to any other white wire on the stator and some place near there on the pick up you will have to google for the exact specs. extra high resistance or open is bad also check the orange trigger wire for the coil if routed incorrectly it can run in a high heat area and i have seen a few that are cooked and have poor conduction causing a weak spark. you may have to unwrap the harness if those things check out. they are prone to internal rubs causing similar issues.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-07-2020, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so found the issue tonight and quad is up and running like hell! Below is the stator, look to the top. Now I need to change out this janky twist throttle and look in some mods maybe. The quad is completely stock except for the tires off a raptor I believe and the twist throttle. Thanks for the info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200206_184035_1581062603203.jpg (76.8 KB, 3 views)
post #6 of 6 Old 02-07-2020, 12:43 PM

Garage
yep typical warrior. make she you check the prefilter screne on the drain plug. warriors make a lot of heat anyway and that is what smokes the stators but if that screen plugs up they get really hot and yoiu can smoke a stator in a ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode