Odd Warrior jetting issue - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-10-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Odd Warrior jetting issue

I just picked up an '87-88 with a spare '94. The original carb was very crusty and corroded. It did run okay with it. The muffler was rotted out and im getting ready for a trip to the dunes. On a budget, I picked up a new take-off YFZ450 muffler and adapted it to fit. I drilled out the center tube in the spark aresstor(just the choke down at the end). It came with a K&N filter and a drilled out lid. I boiled, cleaned, and rebuilt the '94 carb. The float is set correctly(verified by clear tube), went with a 45 pilot, and have all new jets available from 145-152.5. Neutral safety and parking brake circuit is verified to be disconnected. I have strong spark. NGK D8EA plug.

Issue is I can tune the main rich or lean, but still have issues with it bogging under acceleration, rpms take forever to climb under load, and the exhaust wants to glow cherry red no matter what. I did wrap the exhaust from 6" off head to close to muffler. I checked the exhaust gasket, checked valve lash, checked compression, checked and replaced grounds, checked and changed intake boot. Im lost.

Can a weak stator only chop at high rpms but run perfectly fine idle to low? Anything else I should be checking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-10-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I also pulled the covers and checked the timing chain, its good and dead on alignment.

I did some more intense google searching. Sounds like my pick-up may be bad. Im not sure on the stator, but for what I have ran it with all the extra starter cranking, it has kept the battery completly charged. I have heard of the magnet on the flywheels going weak, too. The quad sat for almost 2 years before I bought it.

Anyone know if the pick-up coil and stator from a '94 will swap into an '87? I know they made a design change but I'm unsure if it will work with the 87 harness. I dont want to, but can swap the entire harness and components, if need be.

I only have this weekend to fix it. I leave next friday for Silver Lake. I have never taken an ATV to the dunes before. My dune truck needs an engine and I figured this would be a quick alternative. All the time I have spent on it now, I could have swapped the engine in the truck.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-12-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Im over it. The pick-up coils, which I should have checked first, are bad. I get 290 ohm pick up, and 187 ohm on 1 secondary, but nothing on the other. The wires are broke off of one of them.

Finding nearly everything on the 87-88 is unicorn. Glad I have the parts from the 94, which all tested out good. I already started swapping it all over. The parts box had a flywheel puller. My fingers are crossed the 94 cdi is still good.

What has everyone done with the cdi mounting on an older frame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Garage
dont forget to swap the flywheel the 87 wont work with the updated ignition
post #5 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

I seen the different flywheel. 1 pick-up coil vs 2 on the 87.

Everything was swapped, and it fired right up. Revs out great now. I am amazed how hard this thing pulls.

I will have to try the cheap chinezium stator and pick up, for the 87 style, when I put the spare motor into the go cart.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 12:15 PM

Garage
just make sure you try it as soon as you get it. the cal trec is the best of the cheap junk, they have a significant failure rate right out of the box but cal trec is really good about sending out another one but they only have a week or so warranty so dont order it until you can test it.

its hard to beat a warrior in the bang for the buck department and they are tough as heck.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-25-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

I blew it up. Connecting rod let go or piston broke. Nothing though the case and it still spins free. Pretty sure it wound out over the max rpm a few times. Climbed the hills at the dunes like a champ. Got an evening and a whole day of ripping through the sand. Had a lower knock from the start though. I will have it all spruced up over the winter and rebuilt. I kind of dig having an ATV this old and still this capable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode