Starter issue? - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Starter issue?

I have an 87 Warrior that I am trying to get in great "trustworthy" shape to hit the trails. I have been doing some updating on minor equipment to give myself confidence on reliability when out and about. Here goes where my issue is...
I just replaced the starter and solenoid with brand new ones. I stated with the starter first. The new one would not turn over at all but would hear chatter from the 2 rear relays by the solenoid. I swapped back in the old one and it has the same issue now! I then replaced the stater solenoid thinking that could be the issue. Once I turn the key and press the start button (just once) I now hear a whine from the starter. The next issue is I take the key out and turn the switch to off, I continue to hear that whine maybe every 10 seconds for a second or 2. Something is now trying to continue to start while the key is out and system off. One thing I noticed is the 2 wires on the solenoid harness were swapped compared to the original, but they had nuts holding them on so I was able to swap them the correct way (the original was factory soldered). It is still giving me the same issue.

Once I disconnect the battery and connect back up, the noises stop and will not resume again until I make another attempt to start. I am getting around 13V from the battery. The first time this happened, I hooked a charger up (not knowing it would continue to try to start) and started to hear the noise and seen the current meter on the charger spike every time it would "whine"

Anyone have any knowledge on this or where to start troubleshooting to get it running again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 10:45 AM

Garage
pull the starter out and leave it wired up (make sure the case is grounded ) and see what it does. sounds like a bad solenoid
post #3 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

The problem is it is a brand new solenoid. But with the old solenoid in there, it still has other problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 10:36 AM

Garage
so with the old solenoid the problem goes away and others start? you may need to pull the harness and check for shorts.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I will plan for that in the future, just moving from one issue to the next haha. It seems to be "working" fine with the old one in there so I will leave it as that. I take it you read my post from today with the update? With the old solenoid in there it is back to square one. Nothing NEW has started.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Garage
michael pleas try to keep you posts in a single thread unless you have a problem with a different machine. i am normally trying to help at least 4 or 5 guys at a time on here and it gets really difficult if i have to review a bunch of different threads to make sure i have not missed anything.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-15-2019, 08:22 PM

87 has a very simple starter system in which the brake switch or the neutral switch must ground a wire from the CDI for the starter to be enabled. Also if the kill switch is in off the starter will be disabled. But for your problem you should start at the beginning, the ign switch turns off all power from the battery so if your switch is working you can not have these issues you describe. What general condition is the wiring harness in?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode