Blue Traxx Forum banner

'94 Warrior - stator wiring/CDI pinout?

17K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Dragon77 
#1 ·
Hello,

My son bought a '94 Warrior. It was running fine. His friend stopped, popped the clutch (thinking it was in neutral) and it stalled. Since then, no spark. The wiring has been slightly hacked by a previous owner. Unfortunately they started to work on it without taking any "before" pictures.

Both relays (ignition cutout and neutral safety) have been damaged and are wrapped with electrical tape; looks like they were rubbing on the chain. The electric start works only if I jumper the ignition cutout relay plug between red/white (signal output from start button) to blue/white (signal input to starter solenoid). The neutral relay gets warm after the key is on for a few minutes. Relatively minor issues and can be addressed later, after I fix the spark issue.

The 3-pole stator plug (all white wires) is fine and connected to the harness. The 4-pole plug (red, white, green, brown) has been cut off the stator wiring. The corresponding plug for the CDI (red, yellow, blue, white/green)has likewise been cut off but the color codes not matching is a bit of a problem. This is where the "before" photo would have been invaluable. Can anyone tell me what the connections should be? We've tried a couple different pairings of what they thought it was previously but nothing works. Possibly we may have fried the CDI in the process?
The stator red & white pair show 425 Ohms resistance, should be the pick-up coil if my research is accurate. I believe this is within spec?
The stator green & brown pair show 307 Ohms resistance, should be the pulse generator. I believe this is within spec?

By no spark, I mean no output from CDI on the orange wire to the coil. Hooking a test light to battery + and probing, this shows constant ground (as the light is on) whether cranking or not.
Key switch and shutoff switch on left handlebar tested and working correctly, so I don't expect these to be the cause of no spark.
There is a yellow/black wire on the ignition cutout relay (runs to CDI) that show constant ground, except when cranking; when cranking, there is no ground. Is this correct/expected?

I've read that the stator and CDI are specific to year/model and need to match. Understandable, yes; but also it was working, so the match was "good enough"? I'm really hoping we can just get the correct pairings between the stator and CDI to achieve success...

Thanks all for your time and assistance, it is much appreciated!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi, I make new CDIs for all these old Yamahas. I need to know the number from your CDI to know which one it is. Or at least all the wire colors. Then I can tell you the hookup. It is ideal that the stator was made for the CDI which it sounds yours was not.

Went back and look at the colors you have again so I can tell you what they are but the site changes formatting:
Stator RED goes to CDI RED, stator BROWN goes to CDI WHITE/GREEN, stator WHITE goes to CDI BLUE, stator GREEN goes to CDI YELLOW.

Tom https://cdiparts.com/

#3 ·
Hello Tom,

Wired stator to CDI as you directed, still no spark. There's nothing on the CDI that looks like a part number; it only says "Made in Taiwan 2014-08".
Top row of wires: black, white/black, yellow/black, white/green, yellow
Bottom row of wires: green, black, black/yellow, black/white, orange, brown, blue red

The orange wire out of CDI is still constant ground. I don't know if this is being caused by A) the CDI itself or B) one of the inputs (clutch switch, neutral or ignition cutout relays?) to the CDI. Is there a way to test the CDI itself?
The pulse generator and pickup coil seemed to test within spec for Ohms. Is there a way to test voltage or signal input/output from these? I have a digital multimeter and a test light.
Is there a way to bypass the neutral and ignition cutout relays temporarily to determine if they are causing the problem? Since both have been damaged, I don't know if they are working correctly.
I noticed a sensor on the bottom left side of the engine, just in front of the oil filter. Is this an oil level or pressure sensor? The wire shows constant ground. Unplugging it does not give me spark but I'd like to clarify what it is and does.

Attachments

#4 ·
the start/crank circuit and and spark circuit are not related and cant cause a no spark so that is not likely your issue. there is not a published spec for that orange wire but the way i test it is ground my test light and put the probe on the wire and crank the machine if the cdi is good you will get a flashing light and if not you get nothing. of the top of my head i cant remember the exact number but i think it is 4 generations of electrical on those machines and they dont play well with one and other. your best bet is to order the paper version of the clymer manual, its under 30 bucks on ebay and it has the best warrior diagrams i have found and should have the info you need to get it back together. you may want to check you flywheel key as well, popping the clutch can shear that key. it normally wont kill the spark just makes it out of time but it is worth ruling out.

#5 ·
If the resistance readings are close and you have it wired as I outlined there is nothing more involved. Make sure the black/white wire is not connected when you check for spark, it is the kill wire. Then the only conclusion is that the CDI is bad. Also that is an aftermarket CDI so is suspect so again probably a bad CDI.

#9 ·
okay, I purchased the warrior with no spark, it’s a 2002. Oem stator was bad. Wasn’t within ohm specs
I bough a caltric and ohms tested fine. Still no spark, I went ahead and purchased a cdi and spark plug wire with coil. Still no luck, bike cranks but no spark,

#13 ·
i am not sure where you are lost at . you cant expect to fix a machine by just ordering random parts. you need to test the components to see if they are working correctly. there is not a test for the cdi so you need to rule out everything else before you replace it. you need to ohms test the stator, pick up coil, and primary coil. if they all test within spec you will need to compare your wiring diagram to your wiring and look for any shorts or breaks in the wiring. a common problem on warriors is the key switch. if you replace it with the cheap ebay switch you wont get spark. will either have to re wire the switch or replace it with a yamaha switch. the next thing you need to order is the paper clymer manual for the warrior. it gives you step by step instructions with picture on how to test the electrical system in you machine and has a great wiring diagram. there is no short cut on electrical problems. you have to go step by step. i can walk you through repairing your machine but you are going to need the manual for specs and to guide you. if you are using the cheap replacement parts off of ebay they can ohms test ok and still not work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.