My new Warrior project.. long post (sorry) questions at the end! - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-11-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

My new Warrior project.. long post (sorry) questions at the end!

So I just purchased a 1995 Warrior for $300. I knew this was going to be a project just by looking at the photos. The po said the only thing it needed was a cdi box, that other than that, it would run. The pics are of what he sent me.

So I drove 2.5 hours to see it, and figured for 300, I would give it a shot. I brought it home, and immediately started taking plastics off to clean it up. After degreaser and pressure washing the quad, I noticed the throttle was stuck. Not only was the cable a little kinked, I pulled the Chinese carb and took it apart. The carb was corroded, and paddle was stuck. After taking it completely apart, I finally got it freed and moving as it should. So I pulled the float bowl off and this is where it really got bad. Now I don't have a ton of experience wrenching on quads but I did have a Banshee before so that means I've done alot of wrenching, lol. Anyway, I've never seen a float bowl with what looked like jelly in it.

So my first question is, where could this "jelly" substance come from? Could it be old fuel? It would have to be really old fuel as I've seen old fuel before, never jelly. The po said that he just rode it a few months ago. Seeing that carb like that, I feel like that was not the truth.

My next question is, are the Chinese carbs on ebay any good? I would initially like to keep the costs down on this project untill I can get all the bugs worked out, meaning electrical bugs and such. I'm concerned though, that they don't come with any instructions for tuning or rejetting. Can you even buy extra jets for them? How's the reliability of them? I cleaned up the Chinese carb up as much as possible, but with as much corrosion in it, I have no faith in it that it could ever run normally if at all.

I feel like that should be my first issue to tackle before even checking if there is spark or not. I brought it home with out knowing if the motor was free or not. I am happy to say that I got the battery charged and it does crank, so that's a relief. Next is making sure the valves are in spec and go from there with new carb and then electrical. I do really want to recover that seat though... patience! Thanks if you've gotten this far, and sorry for the long post.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg received_394754731252794_1560293985325.jpeg (433.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg received_870443009965506_1560294000692.jpeg (498.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg received_1145077645675663_1560294024056.jpeg (412.3 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-12-2019, 12:43 AM

Garage
the zoom zooms are ok depending on the day. most of them seem to work fine but you can get a bad one. normally not a big deal they will send you a new one but the warranty is normally really short, a week or two. the jelly is probably a mix of bad gas and water and you are right he did not ride that machine in a while. as to jetting they are exact knock offs to the factory carb and you can use factory jets. ( this is what i did to fix the one i got on a quad) with the factory jets and needle the one i had was fine. dont be tempted by the cheap cal-trec or other cheap knock odd electrical parts. use factory except for the stator. if you need a stator use one from ricky stator. the factory one are not great. i dont think yamaha anticipated the those machines make and did not use wire with a high enough heat rating. you can easily get all of the parts you need used or new on ebay. the seat covers are cheap but you will need to patch that foam or it will not look right. i would be surprised if your brake calipers work correctly. this is another place it is not good to be tempted by the Chinese stuff unless you have to it is better to rebuild the calipers you have if possible. do yor self a huge favor and order the clymer paper manual https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLYMER-Repa...EAAOSwX21c12ht it will pay for itself pretty fast and has great wiring diagrams and electrical trouble shooting
post #3 of 3 Old 06-13-2019, 06:29 PM

Not a bad deal u got there. Sounds like minor issues. I got a heck of a deal bout 5 yr ago lol. 99 warrior of $40. Come to find crank bearings were shot, but had a good top end. Then traded a 12ga pump n lil over 100 shells for a 01 warrior. It wouldnt shift wen put together, but open the case n itd shift every gear. So i took the trans gears out of the 99 n dropped in the 01. It rides great. Need to clean it up n get it started again.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in