Advice on brake issue - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 03-25-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Location: I live in Bay City MI. If you looked at your right hand, I'm where your thumb & pointer finger meet
Garage
Advice on brake issue

Hey what’s up everyone? My girls 98 Warrior 350 I noticed when in neutral I couldn’t push it easily like my raptor. So after further inspection the left front caliper was slightly working and the right one was frozen solid. After getting the front end up and wheels off I found that the master cylinder was leaking slightly and the reason was the right caliper hose was completely plugged and the left was allowing a small amount of fluid to pass. She never uses the front brakes really (I rebuilt the rear caliper, rotor, axle, bearing, oh yeah all of it assembly) so she wasn’t complaining but the brakes being like that were making the quad work much harder. Plus she has never driven a quad and is just now learning so I want it all to be safe.

I tore the entire front brake system off the quad. Both front calipers were completely seized solid with no movement. The metal lines I sprayed denatured alcohol, brake cleaner and fashioned a small brass piece for each end so it would not affect the seals. I had to take a stiff piece of wire, warm it up over the salamander, warm not too hot, then pushed it through both rubber brake hoses. They have that Teflon tube in the middle so it was ok. Each hose a big log of sludge came out of each. After the logs were out, sprayed brake cleaner and denatured alcohol through them and a few pipe cleaners later, few minutes on the bench grinder wire wheel had basically new hoses. Did the same to the main hose. Tore apart the master cylinder, replaced the guts or the pump part. Bought two new calipers that have a 5 year warranty and some ECM brake pads and re-assembled.

Everything went back together perfect, put anti seize on all bolts after running them through the sand blaster and filled it up with DOT 4 brake fluid. The brake grip great. But they seem to be acting like the caliper pistons are not moving back at all when releasing the handle. I thought after cleaning and rebuilding it all it would work like new? I don’t have a brake vacuum so I had to fill the rear of the master and then put fluid in the master, pump the handle and quickly crack the bleeder then retighten it. I did this on both sides until they were squirting solid streams of fluid, topped off the master and now the pistons don’t seem to want to slide back out. Can anyone give me any tips on how to make this better? I took the caliper pins out and put high heat special brake grease on them before re assembling them. Maybe I am doing something wrong with the fluid? Please help…..

JMH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-25-2019, 01:54 PM

Garage
they are working as new. see your other post they working exactly as they should

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in