Question and input from everyone on brakes? - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-08-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Location: I live in Bay City MI. If you looked at your right hand, I'm where your thumb & pointer finger meet
Garage
Question and input from everyone on brakes?

So I am replacing both calipers on my 98 Warrior 350 because both of them were frozen and Iím not going to spend the same amount of money rebuilding them. The new ones were $40 shipped and come with a 3 year warranty. Some ECM pads later and Iím set. However my brake fluid was nasty and rusty colored. Is the only thing I can use to rinse them out before installing the new calipers denatured alcohol (which I donít want to buy for $15) or can I use some ISO and just blast the compressor air through it? Also, Should I tear apart the master cylinder and clean every part or leave it alone?

JMH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-08-2019, 03:45 PM

If brake fluid is bad, flush it all out with new stuff. The $15 cleaner is nothing and should be bought. Do it right. It would suck for your brakes to no work and you wreck killing yourself. Is your life only worth $15?
post #3 of 8 Old 03-08-2019, 10:31 PM

Garage
to bad you already bought the new calipers you would have been better off rebuilding the yamaha calipers but that ship has sailed. other than than that what he ^ said. there is no way i would risk not rebuilding the master cylinder a front kit from all balls is 20 bucks. do it once and do it correctly. i would flush 5 dollars worth of brake fluid through the lines instead of the alcohol but either way flush them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Location: I live in Bay City MI. If you looked at your right hand, I'm where your thumb & pointer finger meet
Garage
I am going to have to disagree. The calipers that came are in my opinion much nicer than the Yamaha ones. They came with brass slide pin bolts, the brackets are black andonized. I was not expecting them to come with cintered brake pads either that look identical in every way to the ECM pads I have on my Raptor. Another difference about these calipers are they actually claimed in the ad this - "These two front brake calipers are designed to clamp the disc brake when the vehicle is stopped, and it will loosen the disc brake when vehicle running" which is actually true to the ad. Once I adjusted them to the sweet spot they in no way ride on the calipers and the piston in these springs the pads out fast and hard. They are the closest atv calipers I have seen so far that function almost like bicycle brake calipers. When you pull the handle the clamp, let go they move out. The Yamaha calipers on my raptor and on the rear of this Warrior do no do that. They basically ride along on the calipers until gripped. I don't know maybe its because they are new? It was going to cost me more that these calipers to buy all the parts to rebuild the calipers and the master cylinder no matter where I bought them from and that didn't include pads so I think I did ok. Oh yeah, they have a 3 year warranty to.

JMH
post #5 of 8 Old 03-15-2019, 03:01 PM

Garage
i guess you know best
post #6 of 8 Old 03-16-2019, 02:16 PM

Flush with brake fluid, cheap from auto parts store.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-25-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did what you said, rebuilt the master, cleaned and made lines look work like new, put calipers on, they stop perfect, but the pistons don't retract like they were supposed to and it seems like the rotor rides on the pads slightly. Not liking that

JMH
post #8 of 8 Old 03-25-2019, 01:52 PM

Garage
that is how a disk brake is supposed to work. the pad is in constant contact with the rotor. it does several things keeps the rotor clean and dry, reduces the amount of throw in the lever, and keeps a small ammount of heat in the rotor to keep from shock loading it and stressing the metal. it is exactly as it should be

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode