Jetting question - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 01-14-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Jetting question

I bought an 01 warrior that sat for almost 10 years, cleaned the carb and got her running. The air fuel screw was only backed out 1/2 turn as I received it but I backed it out to 2 turns based on some other forums. Bike runs good other than back firing sometimes while shifting as well as I inspected the plug and it had a slight white tip. From what I understand it seems lean, the previous owner did put a k&N filter in but the air box is factory could this cause my lean issue?

Also I bought a dg slip on but was curious what jets to get, I love at 1500ft and will do 50 percent of my riding there and the other 50 percent at the Oregon dunes roughly 50ft elevation. Is there a specific size that will perform well in both altitudes or will I just be messing with my air fuel mix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 AM

Garage
1] 2 to 2.5 turns is correct.
2] the k&n alone is not likely to cause a lean condition it was either lean from before, has a slightly clogged main jet or most likely has a small crack in the intake boot, is very common and they can be hard to spot. they will look fine unless you bend them or when they are bouncing on the trail.
3] other than more noise the dg will do you no good unless you open the air box and rejet
4] i had 3 warriors at one time and i dont remember the exact jetting numbers but this is what i ran. i live in southern oregon (klamath falls) so about 3900 feet. i ran the dg slip on, open air box with a k&n and outters sock, stage 2 dyno-jet kit using the sea level formula, and dropped one tooth off of the front sprocket. i never had any problems with being too rich at home so with half the elevation difference you will be fine running the sea level settings. before i dropped the front sprocket down i was having trouble running some of the bigger dunes and would even have to drop into first if banshee hill was rough and could not get a run at it. the lower gearing fixed that for the most part. the machine functioned perfectly i just wanted more. the lower gearing helped in the trails to. i was able to split 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2 in the tight stuff and it helped with cooling. with those cheap mods the machine was better all around and very dependable. stay away from the big bore/strokers kits for these machines. you can do the jetting without the dyno jet kit but if you dont have a lot of experience with jetting it will tell you exactly what you need with your mods and elevations. they change the main needle out to give you a little better fuel curve as well. the only down side to the dyno-jet kit is they make there own jets and it uses and adapter to make it fit the individual carbs it works fine and i never had a problem with one but you can only use there jets if you need to make a change for an extreme temp or elevation change. i just bought a kit for each machine and labeled the box and kept them in my go box but honestly i never had to change. the data sheet was right on for me. those old school motors and not super picky and will really wake up with what i layed out for you. if you have any more questions or need help with an air box design let me know

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode