Blue Traxx Forum banner

2001 Yamaha warrior won't start

4K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Richard1243 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Yamaha Warrior 350 6-speed that will constantly pop over but not quite start

#19 ·
not sure what you mean by pop over but first put in a new plug and make sure you have spark. if you have spark try some starting fluid. and let me know

hey I have a similar issue I was riding and it got hot there was smoke coming out of the oil knob where you check to the oil then it didn’t start but it turned over I checked the spark plug and it had spark it seems like it has compression

#4 ·
2.5 turns out on the mix screw. so it had spark? did it fire with the starting fluid? if it did then it is probably the carb. describe how it stopped running. and that will help me narrow it down. pull the hose off the carb and make sure you have free flowing fuel. open the screw on the bottom of the bowl and make sure fuel flows from there as well. what does the plug look like after you crank on it a while

#6 ·
so it is not likely electrical with that info. i am assuming by good its not oil fowled and its dry? the first thing to check is the valve adjustment it is common for them to come loose. if the valve are in spec you probably did not get the carb back together correctly or did not get it clean enough

#9 ·
so if you replaced it with one of the cheap ebay cdis it is probably your issue. they are crap. i had a rectifier go out and it melted the cdi. i ordered a new one and it ran like crap. sent it back and got another and it was fine. the only way i knew was i new it was running when i had the voltage spike.

#11 ·
ricks motor sports has one for 169 bucks. you can get by with the cheap ones but there is no way to test them and they may be bad out of the box. i used a caltrec. i called them and they semt me one the next day didnt even have to send the old one back and it worked perfect. it is just a gamble. for me i knew exactly what happened so when it didnt work i knew where to look for you sounds like you are not really sure. reading back it does not sound like you did any diagnostics, correct. before you spend 170 buck on a new cdi you need to do a proper diagnostics on the machine. it sounds like you just guessed it was your cdi, correct. you need to check the ohms values on the pick up coil, stator, and primary coil and make sure they are in spec. you can download the manual from the sticky for the specs. check all of you wiring and clean your grounds. take the green wire off of the reverse shifter and ground it. follow the procedure in the manual for rebuilding the carb and setting the the float level. make sure you did not lose the little o-ring and washer on the end of the airmix screw. adjust the valves and then check the compression. (all free) if all of that checks out in spec then it would be reasonable to suspect the cdi. the cdi really does not go out that often it is far more likely that it is one of the other things in the list

#12 ·
I actually went over everything and I checked the carb 3 times and I went over every wire separately I did everything I needed to I have a guy that works on atvs he is even stumped he said to get a new cdi I just needed more than one opinion than just one person

#18 ·
Had a similar issue on a 97 recently and i replaced the cdi and a few other things but check the 2 wire plug coming out of the stator that has a white wire and a red wire. I know this may seam ridiculous but switch them so that wen u plug it back in the red goes to the green and the white plugs to the red on the harness side. I think the new cdi is firing at the wrong end of the pickup. Thats how i solved my problem so i just thought id share. Hope it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.