Does anyone know what a Yamaha warrior would do when the CDI goes out - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-02-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone know what a Yamaha warrior would do when the CDI goes out

Does anyone know what a Yamaha warrior would do when the CDI goes out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2018, 02:51 PM

Garage
it would not have spark. there is no way to test a warrior cdi. you have to test all of the other electrical components, if they are good it is the cdi. its pretty rare its the cdi unless someone has put one of the cheap hop up cdis on.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-05-2018, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

It has to be my cdi then because everything is still good and fine but that is probably my problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-05-2018, 04:22 PM

Garage
did you test it with a meter
post #5 of 10 Old 12-05-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

How do you test it
post #6 of 10 Old 12-05-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

How do you do that
post #7 of 10 Old 12-06-2018, 10:10 AM

Garage
there is a link to a manual in the sticky at the start warrior thread. down load that for your specs. basically you will need an ohm meter set to ohms and there is a combination of wire colors to test for each component. the manual will walk you step by step to rule out each electrical component. if they all test within spec then its your cdi. again unless you have a short in the harness it is pretty rare for the cdi to go. on a warrior it is most likely the stator, but you need to test it to be sure. the quality parts are to expensive to just randomly throw at your machine and the cheap parts are likely to be bad out of so you still wont know what is causing the no spark. if you dont know how to read an ohm meter there are dozens of you tube tutorials on the subject. just out of curiosity if you did not use a meter how did you determine everything else was good?
there are many more videos on the subject but these are specific to your needs
post #8 of 10 Old 12-11-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory52000 View Post
it would not have spark. there is no way to test a warrior cdi. you have to test all of the other electrical components, if they are good it is the cdi. its pretty rare its the cdi unless someone has put one of the cheap hop up cdis on.

Actually it is quite common for the CDI to fail. I sold or repaired almost 200 of them this year.
You need an analog meter to test the components. The early years had several combinations but in general the black wire must be grounded all the time, the black/red wire must be grounded to have spark and the black/white wire must NOT be grounded which is not uncommon if a key or kill switch is bad.

Last edited by tom bauer; 12-11-2018 at 05:24 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-11-2018, 06:05 PM

Garage
200 thats a big number. the context of the comment was not that they dont fail its that they fail at a rate significantly less than the stator. and for a guy trying to fix something in his garage i was giving him the most likely place to start first. if you are indeed repairing potted electrical parts it would stand to reason you would do a lot of them, i have never found another shop that does that.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-18-2018, 09:21 PM

Well it is almost all I do now. I have also designed and build new replacement CDI for all the early years of Yamaha ATV
https://cdiparts.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode