Harescramble Question - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-04-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Harescramble Question

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I was just wondering if you guys think it would be possible to hare scramble a warrior 350. I would most likely be racing c class for 2 hours. Do you think the warrior would do okay or would it overheat because it's air cooled. I know the motors are reliable but I don't know about racing them for 2 hours in relatively hot weather. Would I be better off just spending the money and getting a liquid cooled 450 or something? Also if I could hare scramble it what parts would you guys recommend for me to put on it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-04-2018, 07:47 PM

I would just get the big bore kit that is liquid cooled for it and race it like that that would give you a bigger engine and liquid cooled
post #3 of 12 Old 10-05-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wouldn't that just make it unreliable?
Also, who makes this kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-05-2018, 10:41 AM

Garage
i have never seen a liquid cooled big bore kit for a warrior. not even sure how that would work but assuming it does exist. 1500 bucks for a dependable warrior, 250 to 300 for the piston and sleeve at least another 200 for a radiator and plumbing. 50 for some kind of water pump and 100 bucks for gaskets and other misc. so you are in the range of 2200 bucks i just sold a really nice yfz for 2400.

if the hare scrambles is open enough you can generally split second and third with the occasional 1st and 4th you will be just fine you just need to remember to to kick it up a gear when you can to drop the rpms and cool it down some. these are super tough machines. no mater what anyone tells you when you start adding ccs whether by adding a big bore or stroker crank you lose reliability and built heat. you will have jetting issues to work out ( if you do go big bore let me know and i can help with the jetting and tuning ) i had a fully built warrior and it was no faster on the top than my 96 that had the air box and slip on. it had significantly more torque and was way better climbing dunes but it got so hot i had to have ricky stator build me a custom stator to keep it from melting, another 200 or so bucks. the big bore strokers are fun, (i am building a 501 yfz for the second time right now) but not as reliable as stoke and need constant tlc to keep them ripping.

on its best day a fully built warrior wont keep up with stock yfz. the yfz is lighter, has a better suspension and more power. for me the best bet is the yfz. if you go with the yfz i can help you get some cheap dependable power out of that as well. there are some good dependable mods for the warrior as well.

on a side not why would you want to to do a hare scramble on 4 wheels. i did one on my yz 250 fx and it nearly killed me i could not imagine having 2 extra wheels to get through those tight trails. just giving you a hard time lol. either way you go let me know and i can help you get the most out of the machine and have it get you back to the truck
post #5 of 12 Old 10-05-2018, 03:01 PM

Just look it up on Google there every where
post #6 of 12 Old 10-05-2018, 05:17 PM

Garage
i googled it earlier and just now and all of my regular parts sources. i found big bore kits for the 2 wheel warrior and they are liquid cooled but not a single one for the warrior 350 can you add a link kenneth i would like to see one. might make a fun build
post #7 of 12 Old 10-05-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey, thanks for all the replies they really helped out. I was kind of leaning toward the yfz anyway because all the things cory listed. If I did do that I would have to sell my warrior which has pro taper bars, white brothers exhaust, itp holeshots all around, dg front bumper, and a top end rebuild was just done. With all that how much could I sell it for nowadays. Also what would be the cheapest price for a yfz I would be "Safe" buying. Thanks again!
post #8 of 12 Old 10-06-2018, 02:41 AM

Garage
Your warrior will probably sell for about 1500 would list it at 1800. You have some cool add nor but they don't add much. Depending on yhe mods expect to pay 2400 to 3000 for a yfz carb model. More for a fulie. Look for an 07 and up or one with the oil mod. Before you buy make sure its clean so you can do a good inspection. Check the oil a nd make sure the harness ha a not be modified 8n any way. If youneed help let me kbow
post #9 of 12 Old 10-06-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll see if I can list my warrior for $1800. Then focus on getting the 450 and does it have to be 07 and up? What's wrong with the years below that? Also, whats the oil mod? And last thing, what should I look for when I go to check out the 450? Thanks for all the replies!
post #10 of 12 Old 10-06-2018, 09:59 AM

Garage
I have a friend that has a fully race built 450 and he doesn't know how to ride it and he looks like a fool. not about the quad, its about the rider, but go with the 450
post #11 of 12 Old 10-06-2018, 10:57 AM

Garage
It does not have to be an 07 and up but the 4,5, and 6 have a tendency to weld the crank to the rod. Not all of them just some. The oil mod is a 200 dollar upgrade to the 4,5, and 6 models. You send you case in and they it modify for the 7 and up squirter and the 7 high volume oil pump. The things I look for are wiring. If the harnes has been cut or modified I pass things like headlight deletes home made ignition switches ECT. Check the oil make sure its clean and does not have water in it. Before and after you test ride. Check the bearings and brakes they are easy fixes but cost money. Check the chain and sprocket. Make sure the area around the front sprocket has not been busted out and jb welded. Look for general care and maintenance. If you show up and it's clean and shiny the owner probably took care of it. If not beware. When I say clean not just washed the mud off. But the engine, chain, the deep down stuff is clean. There are hundreds of these machines out there dont get in a hurry
post #12 of 12 Old 10-08-2018, 12:00 PM

I wouldn't worry about the air cooled.
I would be more worried about the shit suspension. If you are competing, you will be a wreck after 2hrs on a warrior.
For hare scramble, you want a comfy quad. Something you can ride all day without killing yourself. Good suspension, soft seat, no arm pump. I would suggest a 450 of even a z400 over a warrior.

If you are worried about heat, look into oil cooler. It can help keep the engine cooler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in