96 warrior need wiring schematic plz - Yamaha ATV Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By newwarriordude
  • 1 Post By cory52000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-03-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

96 warrior need wiring schematic plz

I recently picked up a 96 warrior that did not run. Has good compression and cranks but I am not getting spark. Whoever tried rigging it up previous to me did not do the best job. I can't find the wiring diagram on the internet anywhere for this 1996 specific year. Can anyone help a brother out and pm me. Thanks you to all for chiming in. I'll start a more in depth thread soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skeem229824 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-03-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure the problem lies after the cdi box near the solinoid. Specifically the red and white wire and the blue and white wires that come off of the small solinoid prongs. Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm close to losing my sanity with this. I can upload any pics that will help in figuring this out.

post #3 of 17 Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 PM

Garage
there is a manual in the sticky above with diagrams and here is a link to a manual the link is good you may get an unsafe warning but it is fine just checked it tonight www.mdmotors.ru/netcat_files/213/177/warrior.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-03-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

I saw that one but didn't see that it had multiple years within that one Manual. I think I got it now

post #5 of 17 Old 03-04-2017, 12:30 AM

Garage
that link i posted is an actual factory service manual if you need it but looks like you are on the right track
post #6 of 17 Old 03-04-2017, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

I'm about ready to burn this warrior to the ground

post #7 of 17 Old 03-04-2017, 11:05 AM

Garage
dont burn it these are pretty easy to diagnose unless it has been frankinsteined. you should have a step by step rule out in the manual to diagnose the components and then we can go from there. give me the best description you have and i will see what i can do.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-05-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Well I can't get power from the cdi orange wire that runs straight to ignition coil. I'm not getting a spark it's all I'm lacking. The pulse/pickup coil wires from left side engine case were frayed and had to be spliced together. At this point it's all Chinese to me lol. Cory can u Pm me?

post #9 of 17 Old 03-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Garage
i suspect it is the stator or the pickup/pulse coil that is bad. the first thing you need to do is rule the electrical components in or out. get yourself a good digital meter and do an ohms test on the pickup/source coil, the stator and the primary coil. clean off of the grounds and the mount for the primary coil. make sure the small black wire off of the black battery cable is making good connection with the harness. i assume the harness has power and the engine cranks with the button. i believe the orange wire you are talking about is pulsed 12 volts and triggers the primary coil to fire. i am not dead positive on that and keep meaning to check my self because it comes up a lot but i am pretty sure. it is possible that it could be constant and they switch the ground for the pulse but i doubt it and the problem has always ended up in the stator somewhere. cdi failure is pretty rare on a warrior unless someone has changed it out for one of the high rev boxes and used a Chinese knock off, those dont last very long. these machine are pretty well know for eating stators, my theory is they build a ton of heat and yamaha did not use a high enough temp wire and the heat breaks them down. the ones i have had to replace i have used rickystator units and it eliminated the problem
post #10 of 17 Old 03-06-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Starting from scratch, I'm going to go thru entire harness. At the handlebar switches with exception of lights because those are working fine. The engine kill switch I took apart cleaned and sanded down. Also made sure the spring was "springy" LoL. I noticed that the prev owner wired the black/yellow to the black and the red cut short to the brown. What the heck for? The red/white isn't tampered with so not sure why my push start isn't working anymore. When I got the quad it did work but I've since opened it up many times so it may just need to be re soldered. Any idea why these wires are spliced like this. I think the B/Y -B is to bypass the parking brake thing. Thoughts???

post #11 of 17 Old 03-07-2017, 12:01 PM

Garage
not sure why he would have done that and believe it or not those are factory splices. that is why warriors have so many wiring problems. i think you are on the right track with repairing the harness. hopefully you can get that switch working they are a little pricey. did you test the components yet?
post #12 of 17 Old 03-07-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Well 2 weeks ago when i bought the thing it all worked. I'm fixing to re-solder the push start and it will be all done. I went thru entire harness again and found 2 major issues at the key ignition wires. Re did all of that. Also I removed the entire orange wire from the harness and spliced a brand new wire into the mix for the ignition coil wire from cdi. I'll def keep you guys updated because I refuse to let this thing beat me! Also if you can Cory, I have the neutral relay(green) but it didn't come with the other cut off relay. Is there a remedy for the time being to arch wires or something?

post #13 of 17 Old 03-07-2017, 07:52 PM

Garage
i am sure you can bypass the relay but not sure how you would have to study the diagram. however all the safety stuff just prevents cranking so in theory if you have power from the key to the cdi you should be able to jump the big wires on the solenoid and get it to start.
newwarriordude likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-27-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Update: working on new color scheme for my plastics today. Learning as I go, so far it's coming along pretty good.

post #15 of 17 Old 03-27-2017, 02:58 PM

Garage
very nice
post #16 of 17 Old 03-28-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I'm pleased with the results, any blemishes I'm. Just gonna cover with some decals and what not. Will update again once it's all assembled and running!

post #17 of 17 Old 10-04-2017, 03:15 AM

Man I have same problem on my 02 it's missing the cut off relay won't crank with start button I have too cross the silenoid can't get power thru orange wire. Have you figure yours out yet

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode