Blue Traxx Forum banner

OE cdi box, no spark, aftermarket has spark but won't start with button.

7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  cory52000 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum and am stumped on my 2003 Warrior's CDI box. I wasn't getting spark so I bought a new aftermarket CDI box. The push button wouldn't work so i jumped the solenoid and it started right up. Thought the new CDI box was bad so I got another one and same issue. Will start if I jump the solenoid, but won't start with the button. Broke down and bought the OEM CDI box and now it will turn over with the push button, but no spark. Any ideas on why the OE doesn't have spark or why the aftermarket one won't push button start? I am frustrated and lost on this thing now.

Thanks,

2003 YFM350 Yamaha Warrior

#2 ·
Hey man. I was in the same boat a few years ago, had a warrior with no start issue. It either wouldnt crank, or it wouldnt have spark. Check your parking brake and clutch safety switches. Does the battery charge while running? If not, check the fusible link. Billy

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
thanks, checked for shorts.

That’s kind of what I thought, but I stripped the wiring harness off and went through every wire and connection, all good. The start button works fine if I use the OE CDI Box, but then it won’t send a signal down to the Coil. If I use the aftermarket one, the start button won’t work, but if I jump the solenoid it starts right up. I have changed them back and forth a few times and same thing. I have checked all the relay’s sensors and connections and all seem to be good. Ugh.. So frustrated with this.

#6 ·
there is a green wire on the back up lever, try grounding that and see what happens. it provides feed back to the cdi and i had to ground it on my 87. honestly i am not sure why it worked but it did and has helped a few others. in the mean time i will do some more thinking and see if anything comes up

#7 ·
Tried that, no difference even connected it right to the negative terminal. I am about to mount a separate solenoid and a another start button. I am simply stumped. Why would the start button work on one CDI, but not provide spark and the other CDI no start button, but runs great if i jump the solenoid. Ugh.. So frustrated. I pulled all the wiring off and unraveled it, checked it and re-wrapped it. No difference again.. dam thing....

#8 ·
ok with the box that sparks but does not crank, the oem one? test to ensure you have power to the button and out of the button when you hit it. try this find the 2 wires that go to the clutch perch possibly black with a yellow stripe, they will have a bullet type connector unplug them and take the 2 from the harness side and plug them into each other, find the wires that go to the parking brake, it should be 2 wires with a grey 2 prong connector, simply unplug this one. ground the baby blue wire that is hooked to the neutral safety switch down by the shifter [try it ungrounded as well i cant remember if that switch is normal open or closed]. hit the button and see if she cranks. this will trick the machine into thinking all of the safety switches are in the correct position for starting. if i remember correctly power comes out of the button and goes through all of the now bypassed safety switches and to a relay prior to the solenoid correct? when the relay receives power from/through the safety switches it closes and allows the power to proceed through the relay to the solenoid. trace that power step by step and see where it ends. you could possibly jump the relay or power it remotely to close the switch. do you have the wiring diagram? i am shooting from the hip here it has been over a year since i had a warrior so i am a little rusty but you problem is not unique and i am sure we can get to the bottom of it. i have a manual at home but i am stuck at work for the next 2 day and cant get to it. if this stuff does not work i can get out my diagram and maybe figure it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.