2005 Wolverine timing off? - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-04-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

My 05 wolverine was idling good but running terrible at all speeds above idle. I was sure it was a fuel problem. After much cleaning and adjusting, decided to swap some parts with my son's 03 wolverine.

-My carb actually increased the performance of his bike. I told him he couldn't have my carb.

-coil made no difference

-cdi box made no difference

-both bikes have had the parking brake limiter unplugged for years

-intake boot made no difference

So, I removed the plastic and started tracing wires looking for a pinch or bare wire. Wiring looks perfect.

Somewhere along the way while moving wires around, the bike will not start. Acts like it has jumped time, backfiring, kicking back.

So, I think the only component left is the pickup coil, stator. Never been into that before. Is this a big job?

The plug does make a spark, is there a way it could be firing at the wrong time?

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by Jdirt; 07-04-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 05:39 PM

flywheel key sheared.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-10-2019, 10:39 AM

Garage
could be out of time but it is rare. pretty easy to rule out though. stator and coils is not a big deal but order the new gasket and plan on an oil change when you do it (they are a wet stator) the no start symptoms sound like a vacuum leak. did you get the carb and boot back together correctly. your original sounds like it is possibly the hi speed pick up coil. i have never actually had my hands on a wolverine but have worked through a similar problem with a guy on here. ( you should go read his thread) either get a manual or download the specs and test the coils and stator before you replace them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried every combination of the carbs and boots on the other bike and have pretty much eliminated that as a problem.

It really seems out of time to me. I'll pull the flywheel and check the key, and try to test the stator and pickup coil.

With all the backfiring and such, should I check the cam timing? Could the timing chain have jumped?
post #5 of 12 Old 07-15-2019, 10:27 AM

Garage
it could have jumped time but its rare without breaking something. check your valve lash as well, you could have a tight valve
post #6 of 12 Old 08-25-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

I finally got back to my wolverine. So here's an update:

-The flywheel key was sheared. Fixed that.
-The stator/pickup coil did not test according to specs. Got a new one.
-Also had a questionable intake boot, replaced that.
-Checked the timing marks and ran the valve clearance.

So, I got it all back together today and it started right up but cuts out and sputters just exactly like it did in the beginning. What next? I'm about out of ideas.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-27-2019, 07:00 PM

green/yellow to brake. either unplug it or ground it, I forget which, one causes it to not run well to tell you parking brake is on.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-28-2019, 09:41 AM

Garage
those have a high and low speed pickup did you test both
post #9 of 12 Old 08-29-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

The parking brake switch has been unplugged for years. If you short it across it will limit rpm to like 1500.

The stator and pickup coil is replaced as an assembly which I did. Actually '95-'99 models had the 2 pickup coils, '00-'05 had one pickup coil.

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't give up easily, and this is way too nice of a bike to just junk it.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-29-2019, 09:49 AM

Garage
does that have the vacuum slide makuni? if so look for vacuum leaks. or a plugged vent line on the carb. and check the slide diaphragm
post #11 of 12 Old 09-12-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

I checked the diaphram and vent tube and all seemed to be in good shape.

The float looked a little low, so I raised it a little and it ran great for a while. Then same thing with the cutting out.

I might raise the float a tiny bit more, maybe it's running out of gas now?

Seems strange that totally different problems will have the exact same symptoms.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-12-2019, 10:35 AM

Garage
funny how that works sounds like you are onto the problem. just for grins blow out all of the ports in the carb again when you have it apart. another thing you might check is the petcock and vent cap. fill the tank to the top and put the lid on. remove the fuel line and make sure you have free flowing fuel a plugged vent can cause a vacuum in the tank and cause that as well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode