1995 Wolverine Mystery - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-23-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

1995 Wolverine Mystery

Hi Gang, I have a 1995 wolverine that has been giving me fits for the past two years. Yes...2 years.

It will start and idle perfectly. It will rev to the moon in Neutral. As soon as you put it into gear and take off, it will start burbling and gurgling at about 1/3 -2/3 throttle. Then once it get’s past this this flat spot, it will rev to full throttle with no more problems. If you pin it from idle, and keep it pegged, only letting of enough to shift, it will run perfectly. It’s only runs bad at part throttle. I have two different carbs that I have rebuilt. Experimented with several jetting and needle position settings on both carbs. I have also adjusted the float height and air screw several times. Nothing makes any difference. I’m thinking it has to be something other than the carb.

The 1995 model does not have the park brake safety switch, so it is not that. I am at the end of my rope with this thing. It is my childhood quad and has been owned by my family since new. I really want to keep it and ride it.

Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-23-2018, 06:43 PM

Garage
i would check the stator and pickup coils. i think the guys post is under smartalou or something like that and and he had a similar but not exactly the same issue. him and worked on that for a year and his was the high speed pick up coil, so you might read that post and see if it helps. but it sounds carb or fuel related to me is yours the vacuum slide or spring slide. check for a vacuum leak in an d around the boot, they can be hard to find. make sure the vent cap on your tank is working. is the fuel new. did you change the plug, carbon fouling can cause that. can you lift the needle on click and see what that does.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-23-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory52000 View Post
i would check the stator and pickup coils. i think the guys post is under smartalou or something like that and and he had a similar but not exactly the same issue. him and worked on that for a year and his was the high speed pick up coil, so you might read that post and see if it helps. but it sounds carb or fuel related to me is yours the vacuum slide or spring slide. check for a vacuum leak in an d around the boot, they can be hard to find. make sure the vent cap on your tank is working. is the fuel new. did you change the plug, carbon fouling can cause that. can you lift the needle on click and see what that does.
Thanks a lot for your reply! Fuel is new, and I replaced the carb boot. The plug is also new. It is a Mikuni flat (spring) slide. It is the same carb that they put on warriors for many years. I am pretty sure that the 95 was the only year Wolverine that got that carb (lucky me!).

I was totally convinced it was a carb problem too, but I have tried too many variables (including a second carb), only to have it run exactly the same. It has to be something else. I will find smartalou’s post and see what his issue was, and also checkout the stator/pickup coils. Thanks for that tip.

The quad is in great shape and I have history with it, so I hope I can get it running good. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2018, 10:55 AM

Garage
actually you are lucky with that carb it is way better than the vacuum slide. if memory serves the wolverine version of that carb did not have an accelerator pump but i could be thinking of the big bear. if it does have the pump you might try the stiffer spring mod like the warrior carbs. clean all of the ground connections and test your primary coil when you have the meter out and inspect the harness for any wear. with a problem like this you are going to have to positively and systematically start ruling things out so you dont have to go back. hopefully one of the coils is out of spec and it will be easy. keep me posted with the results and i will help you get deeper if you need to

Last edited by cory52000; 11-24-2018 at 10:57 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-25-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Cory,

Mine does have the accelerator pump. I changed the spring out for a stiffer one. (If any future readers are interested, I used the spring from a Pilot G2 gel pen. Perfect fit and much stiffer than stock.)

I ordered a high quality meter for this job. I will dive into it this weekend and let you know. Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in