Blue Traxx Forum banner

2004 Raptor 50

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  cory52000 
#1 ·
Battery keeps going dead. Tested voltage between battery positive and positive lead with key off and get 8 volts. Is this correct.

#4 ·
i am not exactly following your test. that would give you the exact same results as if the terminal was on the post.charge the battery with a battery charger until the charger says it is fully charged. hook the terminal back up and measure the voltage between the positive and negative terminal. it should be around 12.3 to 12.5 volts. start the machine and the voltage should jump to over 13 somewhere around 13.5 to 13.7. if it jumps up to the 13 or so volts your battery is bad and just taking a surface charge. if it does not jump up to 13 volts unhook the positive terminal while the machine is running. if it stays running you have a bad rectifier, if it dies you have a bad stator. also check the wiring, grounds and any fuses ( check them with a meter, sometimes they look good and are bad)

#5 ·
I am checking for a short, its a new battery. If I test between the disconnected positive battery lead and the positive on the battery I get a voltage reading indicating it goes to ground , correct . That indicates a short in the system, just wondering if the rectifier was bad would that show a short. Have not removed the battery lead while running yet.

#6 ·
i assumed the battery was going dead while you are running it? is that not the case. if the key is off and you are showing voltage then yes it is grounded and there is an issue. it is possible the rectifier is shorted to ground. do the test i said above and unhook the negative cable and test between the engine block and the negative post on the battery if you have voltage there you definitely have a short

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.