Starter struggling to turn over engine - Polaris - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-10-2018, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Starter struggling to turn over engine - Polaris

Hi I'm new here and in dire need of help! I'm not overly mechanical but know some basics!
When I turn the key the starter motor really struggles and is very erratic! Sometimes it does nothing at all, and sometimes it just clicks.
When I use the pull cord it starts first time (unless it's really cold, then it takes a few goes).
I've tried jumping it and it's the same situation...still struggles!
There's no kill switch and it has fuel.

I've taken the starter motor off and bench tested it directly to the battery and it spins freely.
Also connected it up to the ignition and solenoid and it turns over perfectly. It's just when it's connected to the engine it struggles.

I don't know if this is relevant but the negative battery cable is grounding on the starter motor mounting (might try and move the negative cable to ground elsewhere and see if makes a difference) it has always been like that and previously worked fine.
If anyone has any ideas about what could be wrong I'd really appreciate it. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-10-2018, 08:50 AM

Garage
sounds like a weak battery to me
post #3 of 3 Old 10-10-2018, 09:10 AM

What polaris? This is a very common issue actually. They didn't give a great starter for the quads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in