2009 yamaha big bear 250 - Yamaha ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-14-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

2009 yamaha big bear 250

guys, I created this account to seek some help, I am a master certified car mechanic, and am working on my friends 2009 yamaha big bear 250 2wd. It has a no spark/ intermmitant spark issue. I have purchased the yamaha repair manual pdf. Now my problem is that there seems to be a discrepancy between what the repair manual says, and what wire colors actually are on the vehicle. I have called yamaha, and they were no help. Also the dealer where she bought the 4 wheeler was bought out last year, and the new dealer has no repair records. ok, so down to business. I found a bad spark plug cap, and replaced it, but I am still not getting a pulse to the primary side of the coil. According the manual the next step is to check the pickup coil resistance, and then the source coil resistance. ( see picture) the pickup coil is the w/g, and w/r wire, with a resistance of 189-231 ohms (these wires appear to be correct) and the source coil is Br(own) and B(lack) i think. with a resistance of 270-230. The problem i am running into is the source coil color of wires are not matching what is in the repair manual, so i am not sure what i am testing. I ended up following the wires all the way into the stator housing. The w/g, and w/r wires go to what appear to be a pickup coil (see picture). in total there are 7 wires, coming from the stator housing, the w/g,w/r which i beleive are the pickup coil wires, 3 white wires, which I think are the 3 phase generator wires going to the rectifier, and lastly there is white/blue wire, and a solid red wire which I think should be the source coil (i do not know what a source coild is or does exactly nor what one is supposed to look like), but they also trace back to the stator windings, but are seperate from the 3 whites (see pictures). Also after the connector (see picture, the white blue wire now becomes a w/g wire that splices together with the other white green wire, then these wires now totalling 3, w/g, w/r, and red go into the cid. When I test the wires, the resistance to the pickup coil(?) is way high, and the resistance to the source coil(?) is about 0 ohms. Can anyone confirm, or steer me in the right direction for diagnosing this thing? I really appreciate your help. the only other question i have is that I'm not sure i could truly confirm that this is a 2009 model. It says it is on the emissions sticker, and the vin on the title says it is, but no where on the frame could I actually find a vin stamped, any help with this is also appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-14-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

the repair manual
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2018-05-14-16-43-18.png (442.9 KB, 2 views)
post #3 of 7 Old 05-14-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

what I believe to be the pickup coil. and the connector where the w/g,w/r, w/blue, and red wires come together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180511_112406-min.jpg (908.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20180511_112517-min.jpg (1.42 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by flowershin5; 05-14-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-16-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

help anyone?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-17-2018, 08:10 PM

Garage
well i am not a big bear pro but i think you are right on your guesses. in general the exact number is not super critical but a zero is bad it means that it is shorted and need replaced no mater if it is the source or the pickup and since all thee come as a unit it makes it easy.

if you have checked all of your grounds and ruled out any shorts the stator and pickup is a good choice. unless it has had some sort of jolt it is probably not the cdi. and if the number is way out of spec i think you are on the right track.

look down by the foot shifter for the vin
post #6 of 7 Old 05-18-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks, it appears that this forum is dead.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-18-2018, 05:47 PM

Garage
not dead but not a ton of guys with that machine for sure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode