Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

coolant in oil and engine seized

This is a discussion on coolant in oil and engine seized within the Yamaha YFZ450/450R (2004-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; so i just became a member here so im new at this .but I have been looking on here and you guys have been very ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ450/450R (2004-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #1

View opie450's Photo Gallery(0)
Default coolant in oil and engine seized

so i just became a member here so im new at this .but I have been looking on here and you guys have been very helpful so far. the only thing is you have nothing about the problem im having. i bought a 04 yfz 450 about two years ago and ive been amazed by the quad and even though its been a complete money pit i havent let my faith down yet so neway, the valves were sounding a little tight and i figured they werent to bad so i would just get them looked at when i came back from my trip. well b4 i even went i ordered brakes and clutch cable installed them and headin to the farm for a test drive. after about 2 minutes into the ride i went from 5th gear and came to a corner so i down shifted into 3rd and it just seized and stopped dead in its tracks. i tried to start it back up but the starter just clicked. and when i went to move the back tires it was just locked up. nothing grinded or was tinging around the motor it just seized and thats it. so i took it home and drain the oil and coolant poured out with grey oil following. i know i possbly blew it up i was just trying to find out to what degree and if its worth rebuilding.

plz help
opie450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:36 AM   #2

View redneckyfz450's Photo Gallery(0)

check the head cylinder on the camshaft area. remove all of camshaft and inspecting if there re any damaged on the cam area like feel if its rought. it mean ur head is fucked up. you might run it without the oil and engine got hungry for oil. then it would cause the rough feel on the camshaft . u can't see if its damaged u have to touch to see if its smooth or not. bec if its rough feel on camshaft it wouldn't be work with 7.2 pound torque to wrench it up on cams journal and won't start the engine.. u might to have buy new head cylinder and new camshaft , might need to replace the crank. bec once engine run dry you might have damage in somwhere in crank. thats what i m going to order the new head cylinders for my 04 yfz450. i m put the 2006 yfz head cylinder on my 04 yfz i heard 06 head cylinder re more reliable then the 04-05
redneckyfz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #3

alright i have the bike somewhat tore down but i dont know how to take off the cam chain. i know there is a tensioner but is all i have to do is take that off. and unbolt the cams.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #4

View RuffRyderNJ's Photo Gallery(0)

search for a service manual and dowload it. itll make it alot easier if your not 100% sure of what to do.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:56 AM   #5

View redneckyfz450's Photo Gallery(0)

the chain tensior is easy to take it off. just loose up on tensior and it will loose the chain.
redneckyfz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Primo Member

Premium Member
View leveldrummer's Photo Gallery(0)

was there any metal in the oil as you drained it? have you removed the oil filter and inspected it for metal peices?

2 things could make water get in your oil, a busted head gasket, or a bad water pump seal, if enough coolant gets in the oil, you will lock the engine, which is what it sounds like happened. hopefully didnt rip anything apart (there would be metal all over the bottom of the engine)

the other possiblity is that you blew it up, and it shredded everything in the engine and busted the water jackets in the engine and basically just destroyed everything. it doesnt sound like thats what happened.
leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #7

thats a little bit more of the help i was looking for thanks. but neway there is no metal in the oil just coolant.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Primo Member

Premium Member
View leveldrummer's Photo Gallery(0)

sounds like you either blew a head gasket, or your water pumps seals went out. no way to tell really.

sounds like since nothing exploded, it should be a pretty straight forward rebuild, new bearings, new piston/rings/jug, etc. maybe a crank.
leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ450/450R (2004-Present)

Search tags for this page

yfz 450 water in oil

yfz450 water in oil

oil gray in yfz 450

atv oil seizure

06 ltr 450 getting oil in radiator

yfz 450 engine locked up
yfz 450 grey oil
grey motor oil in my atv
yfz coolant in the oil not seals
coolant cylinder seized
risk of running a yfz450 with coolant in oil
2007 yfz 450 gray looking engine oil
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.