Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

anyone ever broke crank case at shift lever

This is a discussion on anyone ever broke crank case at shift lever within the Yamaha YFZ450/450R (2004-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; riding and chain came off and it hit the shift lever and bent it and broke the bottom out of the crank case... anybody ever ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ450/450R (2004-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #1

View slogo7's Photo Gallery(0)
Default anyone ever broke crank case at shift lever

riding and chain came off and it hit the shift lever and bent it and broke the bottom out of the crank case... anybody ever had this to happen? i think i will need a new crank case...any idea how much one is?
slogo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Crowd Control

Premium Member
View Hefe's Photo Gallery(0)

335 new..
not terrible
but you will have your work cut out for ya..
if you don't know what you are doin...
take it some where
YAMAHA YFZ450 CRANKCASE CRANK CASES CASE YFZ 450 04-05:eBay Motors (item 360170387422 end time Jul-20-09 14:16:34 PDT)
Old 07-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Primo Member

Premium Member
View leveldrummer's Photo Gallery(0)

yea, broken chains break cases. get a good case saver when you put it back together, sorry you got this issue.
leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #4

what do you by case saver? i think i know but not sure... i know that if i were designing this then I would have a peice of steel over the shift lever so the chain wouldn't be able to hit it if it broke or just came off in my case...
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Primo Member

Premium Member
View Bowtie's Photo Gallery(8)

07'/06' YFZ 450 - Gone
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #6

well my 4-wheeler has one of those case savers and it didn't make any difference....

when i called yamaha the other day i was the first person that this has ever happened too... kinda odd to me that i am the only person that has had a chain come off... funny thing is that I talk to some people from my home town and there was another guy from here that had the same thing happen to him... Strange huh?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
Primo Member

Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by slogo7 View Post
well my 4-wheeler has one of those case savers and it didn't make any difference....

when i called yamaha the other day i was the first person that this has ever happened too... kinda odd to me that i am the only person that has had a chain come off... funny thing is that I talk to some people from my home town and there was another guy from here that had the same thing happen to him... Strange huh?

yamaha is lying, it happens all the time, the stock case saver isnt real strong. get something like this...

its a UPP case saver, a huge chunk of plastic molded to the side of the engine, it will stop the chain from breaking anything....
Old 07-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Primo Member

Premium Member
View motorhead's Photo Gallery(6)
thumbs up

yamaha is lying, it happens all the time, the stock case saver isnt real strong. get something like this...

its a UPP case saver, a huge chunk of plastic molded to the side of the engine, it will stop the chain from breaking anything....[/QUOTE]

Yes I have the upp case saver and it is great. The best I have ever seen. I beleive there is a newer model now that has a removable frt cover for easy sprocket access.
Trailtech flywheel
Trinity stage IV Exhaust
Yukon gears +2 Arms +4.5 swingarm 450 shocks
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #9

View ZBlaster's Photo Gallery(0)

My buddy has the moose urethane case saver, I've personally seen it save his case several times.
Zach Taylor #727
GNCC College A
Quadless
Yamaha YZF-R1 - Track Whore
ZBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #10

View nathanl91's Photo Gallery(0)

I have the Tm design works one.. and it saved me when the chain snaped
Old 07-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #11

View Rev06's Photo Gallery(0)

hey so i aint got the lower mount for a case saver..is there anything i can do to put one on?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #12

well i just called yamaha again told them about all of the people that has had problems like this and they dont really seem to care...

also asked them why they didn't put a a case saver on so people like me dont have these problems and they Quote" umm i dont know" and the phone went silent...

Yamaha customer serivce isn't that great or hasn't done anything for me... i sure wish i would have known about this issue i would really have reconsiderd this 4-wheeler...
Old 07-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
Primo Member

Premium Member
View Bowtie's Photo Gallery(8)

It's not just a Yamaha issue, it is an issue with all chain driven quads, bikes and cycles.
07'/06' YFZ 450 - Gone
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #14
Primo Member

Premium Member

well i just called yamaha again told them about all of the people that has had problems like this and they dont really seem to care...

also asked them why they didn't put a a case saver on so people like me dont have these problems and they Quote" umm i dont know" and the phone went silent...

Yamaha customer serivce isn't that great or hasn't done anything for me... i sure wish i would have known about this issue i would really have reconsiderd this 4-wheeler...

when you say "you called yamaha" who are you calling, just your local yamaha dealer? you are talking to some dumb ass behind the counter that probably doesnt even know what your talking about.

and like bowtie said, all bikes/quads/chainsaws/ etc etc. do this, you put a chain on something with a lot of power, if something breaks its going to cause problems, it isnt up to them to find a case saver, its up to YOU to maintain your bike properly, if you check your chain, oil it, clean it, look for wear, and replace as needed, you will almost never have a chain break.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #15

by calling yamaha i mean i got the number from Yamaha's web site and i call them and talked to their customer support.... they are the ones that was really shitty... the dealer that i called talked bad about this problem too like yamaha should do something about it...

since yamaha knows this is a problem they should have a recall or do something to assist people... when vehicles develop a problem that alot of them have then they have a recall and they will fix the problem usually free of chrage or they will do parts or labor only...
Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
Primo Member

Premium Member
View motorhead's Photo Gallery(6)

Its not really a problem with faulty parts or design. Yes they should come with case savers,
better skid plates, wheels, etc. But that would drive the price of a new atv up even further.
It all boils down to maintance. After every "real" ride, I clean and lube chain, clean airbox and filter, grease all fittings, check oil level and set tire psi. I often go around and check nuts and bolts for tightness. That way im ready to ride for next time. After all it is an All Terrian Vehicle.
Trailtech flywheel
Trinity stage IV Exhaust
Yukon gears +2 Arms +4.5 swingarm 450 shocks
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
Primo Member

Premium Member

by calling yamaha i mean i got the number from Yamaha's web site and i call them and talked to their customer support.... they are the ones that was really shitty... the dealer that i called talked bad about this problem too like yamaha should do something about it...

since yamaha knows this is a problem they should have a recall or do something to assist people... when vehicles develop a problem that alot of them have then they have a recall and they will fix the problem usually free of chrage or they will do parts or labor only...
thats like saying its a common problem that when you run over a nail, you get a flat tire, and yamaha should do something about it. or when you dont change your oil, your engine locks up, and thats poor design...

if a chain breaks, its going to screw alot of stuff up, maintain your bike properly and avoid it, the stock bikes come with basic case savers, but they arent strong enough to resist every chain break, and even the big beefy ones like i have arent going to protect everything...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #18
Crowd Control

Premium Member

these guys are right, this is not anyone's issue to "fix" except you

if your chain was adjusted properly, and maintained, it would not have failed

please use your head before insulting one brand over another, especially if that brand is blue!
I have a Suzuki in my garage that throws chains like crazy, and yes, the case broke once too

it is very obvious you are pissed, but, you need to direct it somehow in in a more healthy way
if you are just a closet Honda fan, go buy one
if you are just pissed because you thought you could buy a YFZ and never have to maintain it, you were wrong
the YFZ is arguably the best 450 around, BUT it is not maintenance free
might I suggest a nice Kawasaki Prairie?

I have personally bought a handful of broken YFZ's from kids that bought them thinking they could just ride them and never even check the oil, or maintain their chain.
so.. is yours for sale?

ok.. now you have had your ass chewed
We all feel your pain, really..
there is not one of us here that hasn't made some "bone head" mistake that cost us some ride time or a bunch of money (or both)
take a deep breath..
weigh out your options, and move forward with that plan
we are here if you need help
but if you would like to bitch about how Yamaha is junk, then you will get torn up
we all love Yamaha, and we will defend it
Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #19

first of all I wouldnt own anything but a yamaha... all i've ever had...

i just had the bike for 3 days when it broke and only rode about 2 hours at most...

chain is in adjustment i took it to a shop to have it all checked just to make sure something else is wrong besides the case...

third yamaha knows its a bad design and probably every company knows it is... they just didn't seem to care or offer any assistance at all

i know chains dont come off or break unless something is wrong but eventually this will happen even if something like a rock or stick gets in the chain thats not anybodys fault but all of the companies know this and they need to do something to prevent it...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #20
Crowd Control

Premium Member

you said you had only ridden it for 2 hours..
is this a NEW bike?
if it is, I would go right back to the dealership, but if you bought it used..
suck it up and deal with it..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ450/450R (2004-Present)

Search tags for this page

shifter broke on my yamaha 3 wheeler

yfz lower case cracked by shifter

urethane case saver

how to put in a shift rod in a 2009 yfz 450

whats the best case saver design?

yamaha 350 warrior crank case

yamaha blaster chain broke shifter
07 yfz 450 crankcase
2007 yfz450 se crankcase left side
yfz450 case
crankcase breaks at shifter
put a left side case together on a 04 450r
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.