Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Oil Mod Explained

This is a discussion on Oil Mod Explained within the Yamaha YFZ450/450R (2004-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; There seems to be some debate about what oil mod to choose hopefully this will help explain the difference and make the question easier for ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ450/450R (2004-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
Crowd Control

Premium Member
View Hefe's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Oil Mod Explained

There seems to be some debate about what oil mod to choose
hopefully this will help explain the difference and make the question easier for you

Both mods are equally effective
but one is free and takes some work
and the other is easier, and costs money

Alright....

Oil Mod explained:

for future reference, I will call the Free mod, the "oil mod"

and the not free one the "oil upgrade" as it mimics Yamaha's 2007 change over.

here are some pics of mine when I did it

I did have mine torn all apart for a WR Crank upgrade, but it is NOT necessary to split the case
for the oil mod

first you need to get the side cover off (the one with the oil filter on it)
like so:

next step is to drill a hole in the filter area like this:
this hole is dead center in that filter area
and is the same size as the hole it butts up to
so just judge your drill size the same as the other hole (see second pic below)

the oil then goes out of the filter area
thru the new hole
into the case half via that existing hole
and stops at the angled flat spot at the base of the piston (now we drill this one out)

note:
this hole is up to you
I chose a fuel jet (a mikuni 87.5 jet is desired)
but you can drill a very small hole instead and that would be much less messy!
this is where you need to be very careful not to get shavings in your engine
the rest can be done with no worrys
here is a pic of mine completed
note I used an Oring to seal the 2 together (the same O-ring from the oil filter area)
some people use thin gasket material
for the oring I used a bigger drill bit and just counter bored the hole

if you want to do it without splitting the case, you would need to seal up the
area around the rod and piston real good and flush out the new hole
with a bunch of brake cleaner, and you will be fine

a couple drill bits and a couple hours and you are smiling :)

OIL UPGRADE
there are a couple places that sell this
one that comes to mind is J&T out of Lapeer MI
they take your side cover (the one with the oil filter)
and machine it a bit to fit the oil squirter into it
the kit comes with everything you need even the gaskets and a new oil pump
the new pump has higher pressure too

it is merely a bolt on kit, and aside from the down time for shipping them your side cover
and waiting for them to complete it and send it back, it is a great thing
especially for the guy that is a little skeptical about drilling 2 holes in his block!
I understand that J&T has a great reputation and is very fast on their turn around time
so I would recommend them for you if you don't mind spending the money
visit them at http://www.jtatv.com/Yamaha_YFZ_450_Oil_Upgrade_s/4.htm
last I knew this kit costs $199 but check with the site for exact pricing

there are also places that will sell you a new 2007 side cover so you will have no down time
for like $100 more

I am here for questions if you have em
this post makes great sense to me, but I wrote it..
so please ask and I will clarify any part of it

In the interest of keeping this thread clean lets keep it on track and not fill it with "my 2004 hasn't blown up yet, and I don't have any mod" type comments

Last edited by Hefe; 05-11-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #2

View ex_rider's Photo Gallery(0)

hefe when you state that J&T does machining? what do you mean is that drilling and taping a hole or is that welding? i am wondring if i can buy that oil squirter from yamaha and put this in myself? basically what i am asking is how does that that 07 squirter mount in? does it need to be welded or does it screw in and if it does get screwd in where does that take place?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Crowd Control

Premium Member

I wish I knew exactly what they do, but as I UNDERSTAND it, they just mill out a section and press fit it in, but I could be wrong..
I will check into that for ya... stay tuned
Old 03-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #4

View loki's Photo Gallery(0)

my 04 hasnt blown up yet.
hehe...just kiddin...i dont own an 04.
however.....i do have a question.from your last pix.i can see the jet stickin up under the piston.i know you need to remove the side case.do you need to remove the head and piston as well?kinda looks like you do in order to drill down from the top.
then in order to install the jet,you need to tap the hole,correct?
id like to tackle this myself and save 200 to get a slip on.im just scared ill hose something up.but if you will answer my questions and kinda walk me through this and be patient with me....
Old 03-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
Crowd Control

Premium Member

yes.. you are correct, the head and piston will have to come off, then tape up the area REAL good as to not get any shavings down in there
the hole will need to be tapped to make the jet fit
you can do this..
Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #6

View loki's Photo Gallery(0)

well..i tore into it today.im down to the oil pump.
i think im just gonna send it out to todd at jt.that way i know itll be done right.plus its my way of helpin out,ya know?(plus that high velocity oil pump is gettin me all hot and bothered.heheh)hes been really cool (and patient)thank you))to me,as you have been as well hefe.its appreciated for sure.
peace out,brothers from other mothers.

Last edited by loki; 03-04-2008 at 07:28 PM.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #7

View pwostrel's Photo Gallery(0)

I sent it in to Todd what a nice fast turn around he had it done in less than a day then shipped it out ASAP. To me it was worth it and if you have no idea what you are doing it's O.K. all the info you could ever need he gives you.
pwostrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #8

View sabrecat700's Photo Gallery(0)

Thanks Hefe, Loki and DWOstrel for the good words. I have been working on Quads , bikes and snowmobiles for over 20 years and am a rider of all of them also. I worked as a state certified machanic for over 10 years in south east MI area. I found this is a problem I can help owners of YFZ 450's with and feel it is a fair price and I have fast turn around time to offer. I always stock alot of inventory so there will be no waiting on parts. The internet sites like this one are great places to get the word out about problems like this and others. I take great pride in work that I do and guarantee all of my work. Your only as good as your word in a internet business, because if you suck there will be many people to let you know and every one else to.

Thanks
Todd
sabrecat700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #9

View sharpie69's Photo Gallery(0)

I will be contacting JT soon, as im just not into machining things, id rather have them done "right", although I am mechanically inclined and know they both do the same thing, especially if you used the newer pump with the "mod". However, just to clarify some information ive heard from a reputable local engine builder...he says that when doing the "mod" you have to take measurements of the piston skirt(skirt length) and cylinder (a/square+b/square=c/square) to find out the right angle at which to drill the hole otherwise oil squirting just a little bit off would defeat the purpose. In your thread Hefe, you do not specify this. I was going to just start drilling but changed my mind and am doing the upgrade, however I would just like to know this out of curiosity....
sharpie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
Crowd Control

Premium Member

that very subject has been discussed quite allot as a matter of fact, and it has been mutually agreed upon, that this really makes little difference, because when that oil pump is pumping and oil is spraying all over any oiling is GOOD oiling, regardless of the angle, you are still gonna spray the hell out of the bottom of that piston, and some oil is going to get in that wrist pin area
it is however desired that you match the angle of the jet perpendicular to the flat spot on the case housing (see pics above)

did your local guy explain how it would defeat the purpose?
seriously, oil spraying on the bottom of the piston is a good thing
and if you think about it..
the wristpin is moving up and down at a million miles an hour, it is never staying in one spot,
how could you aim your jet wrong or right..
it is only gonna hit it one place per stroke

plus, by using the fuel jet, you get the oil to "mist" all over the place
a hole just squirts one stream (as I understand it)

this is not as complex as people want to make it
Old 04-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
that very subject has been discussed quite allot as a matter of fact, and it has been mutually agreed upon, that this really makes little difference, because when that oil pump is pumping and oil is spraying all over any oiling is GOOD oiling, regardless of the angle, you are still gonna spray the hell out of the bottom of that piston, and some oil is going to get in that wrist pin area
it is however desired that you match the angle of the jet perpendicular to the flat spot on the case housing (see pics above)

did your local guy explain how it would defeat the purpose?
seriously, oil spraying on the bottom of the piston is a good thing
and if you think about it..
the wristpin is moving up and down at a million miles an hour, it is never staying in one spot,
how could you aim your jet wrong or right..
it is only gonna hit it one place per stroke

plus, by using the fuel jet, you get the oil to "mist" all over the place
a hole just squirts one stream (as I understand it)

this is not as complex as people want to make it

I agree with Hefe. Any oil squirting up under the piston will be spread every where in a milla second. So squirting a stream of oil in the in the direction will be fine. To put the movment of the piston and rod in perspective at 6000 RPM's ( that is no where near revved out ) the piston is cylceing up and down 100 time in one second. This is why it is important to have enough lubercation to critical parts because just a few seconds of no lub and seizure is coming fast.

Todd
Old 06-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #12

View Borborg52's Photo Gallery(0)

I Have A Yfz 07 That I Am Rebuilding For A Customer-friend I Will Let You Know What I Found About That Oil Update. I Have Been In Yamaha Sales And Service For A Long Time And Yes We Knew They Had A Problem From The Very Start. I Think I Still Have The Pictures And Template Of The Original Fix. Ok sorry I haven't got back about this but I got to busy. but what Yamaha did is a put a SKU: 5D3-15155-00-00 NOZZLE 3 in the cover and it is suppose to take care of the problem. But I think the jury is still out on that. I still did the oil mod on this and a HP oil pump just for a little insurance.

Last edited by Borborg52; 06-27-2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: just more information
Borborg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #13

View nathanl91's Photo Gallery(0)

ok guys so what was the problem exactly with the 04 just no oil into the bottom of the piston i have one and it hasnt had any issues but reading this has got me a bit worried can you elaborate?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #14
Crowd Control

Premium Member

yea.. that is exactly it..
the bottom of the piston gets very little oil to the wristpin..

some have gone years with no problems, some have failed while still under warranty,
it is a cheap and easy fix
Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #15

View nathanl91's Photo Gallery(0)

yea..

i found that yamaha has released a kit with all the parts needed to convert to the 07 pieces its a little spendy but then i know its 100%

thank you very much
Old 08-13-2008, 12:08 AM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by nathanl91 View Post
yea..

i found that yamaha has released a kit with all the parts needed to convert to the 07 pieces its a little spendy but then i know its 100%

thank you very much
How much money is the kit from Yamaha. and how long has it been on the market?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #17
Primo Member

Premium Member
View leveldrummer's Photo Gallery(0)

when you send your stuff off to be machined, do you have to spit the case and send the right side off too? i dont see how they can machine the oil cover and not drill out the spot for the jet unless you have to take it all in. does anyone know where you can get the high pressure pump and how much they run?
leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #18

Quote: Originally Posted by leveldrummer View Post
when you send your stuff off to be machined, do you have to spit the case and send the right side off too? i dont see how they can machine the oil cover and not drill out the spot for the jet unless you have to take it all in. does anyone know where you can get the high pressure pump and how much they run?
You do not split the center cases. Only the clutch cover needs to be sent. The nozzle is installed into the cluth cover case so it sticks out from the cover about 2 inces. When the clutch cover is put into place the nozzle will slide thru a window in the center case right above the crank and the end of the nozzle has a small hole in it that shoots a stream of oil up under the piston. There is no jet required in this update. You are thinking of the oil mod where holes were drilled in the clutch cover and the center case. The update will use Yamaha parts to make it the same as the newer 07-08's. The hi output pump is about $90.00 from Yamaha and far as I know there are not any other pumps made for this. Many companies buy the Yamaha pump and package it as there HD pump.

Todd
Old 08-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
Primo Member

Premium Member
View leveldrummer's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by sabrecat700 View Post
You do not split the center cases. Only the clutch cover needs to be sent. The nozzle is installed into the cluth cover case so it sticks out from the cover about 2 inces. When the clutch cover is put into place the nozzle will slide thru a window in the center case right above the crank and the end of the nozzle has a small hole in it that shoots a stream of oil up under the piston. There is no jet required in this update. You are thinking of the oil mod where holes were drilled in the clutch cover and the center case. The update will use Yamaha parts to make it the same as the newer 07-08's. The hi output pump is about $90.00 from Yamaha and far as I know there are not any other pumps made for this. Many companies buy the Yamaha pump and package it as there HD pump.

Todd
if you do the mod yourself, cant you just put the squirter in the same was as the updated side cover? or is it just to hard to line up yourself?

to get the oil pump, would you just need to order a 07+ pump?
or do you have to specify a high output pump?
leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #20
Crowd Control

Premium Member

the older side covers won't take the new squirter without machining it..
thats where J&T comes in
and yes I believe the 07 on up oil pumps are the high volume ones

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ450/450R (2004-Present)

Search tags for this page

yfz450 oil mod

yfz 450 oil mod

yfz oil mod

05 yfz 450 oil mod
04 yfz 450 oil mod
what is the oil mod on a yfz450
oil mod for yfz 450
yfz 450 oil mod directions
2005 yfz 450 oil mod
oil mod yfz 450
yfz450 oil mod jet
2004 yfz oil mod
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.