Blue Traxx Forum banner

Kick start issue on the honda. heads up for yamaha.

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Pahrump 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I have a really interesting picture of a broken side case from the GNCC Hurricane race. I don't think it is the same machine mentioned in the EX Riders post, as this machine didn't have race numbers on it. I have hesitated bringing this pic up as to not start flaming. Pretty ugly pic, though. The side case is cracked all the way across through the opening for the kick starter.

#13 ·
:lmao: DAYUMMM :scared:

#14 ·
it does suck that happened to the fella who bought it, however that goes to show all the "i like honda cause they are reliable" morons that anything can break. I would rather replace a 50.00 dollar battery when the bikes out of warranty than a 200-300 dollar case, and whatever else is broke inside that contraption.

#15 ·
a99wolverine said:
it does suck that happened to the fella who bought it, however that goes to show all the "i like honda cause they are reliable" morons that anything can break. I would rather replace a 50.00 dollar battery when the bikes out of warranty than a 200-300 dollar case, and whatever else is broke inside that contraption.
:wtf: :zzz: yeah good job... it says in the honda manual not to give it full throttle or pump the throttle when starting the engine ... Ovbiously it will fire a big kick back

#16 ·
Newjacksm said:
a99wolverine said:
:wtf: :zzz: yeah good job... it says in the honda manual not to give it full throttle or pump the throttle when starting the engine ... Ovbiously it will fire a big kick back

Doesn't matter, it shouldn't happen regardless.

#18 ·
i know for a fact pro's use throttle when firing up big bore 4 strokes, I've seen them do it, its piece of shit weak part that let go, a poor design. Bike kick back all the time, my buddies R kicks back on a daily basis, if it gets flooded you will kick for days, and yes it can get flooded if you kill it on a hillside etc. chances are the shaft flexed and aided in the cracking as well.. Feel sorry for anyone wanting to up the compression cause then the kick back will be even worse. anyone who has ever kick started a cr500 with a wet plug knows all about kick back.. and i dont see them carrying spare cases in their tool box. I guess they better bring a plug and plug wrench to change is while, i'll just crack my throttle wfo and it'll fire up.. if a cylinder is wet, it needs air to dry out, i dont have time to take out the plug and so on. newjacks i'm glad you got your honda.. i'm not so happy you havent left the board yet.

#19 ·
Rapture said:
The manuel also states not to "jump, wheely, or perform any other type of stunts." Just goes to show because the manuel says not to does not mean its not supposed to be done. Who does not give there bike some throttle when trying to start it?
Exactly, and not only do they say don't jump wheelie and so on, they are now sponsoring a MX team. It doesn't matter if they say it or not, they should realize that people won't see that, or will forget. People will give it throttle to start because they feel that it will help it. Honda should realize that it will happen, and they should have designed it so that it wouldn't break like that.

Now after reading that thread on EXriders, Im not sure if this really is a problem or not. There is only one person on there that has had it happen, the rest are a bunch of "my friend's neighbor's brother's son" had it happen. It is enough that it would keep me from buying the honda though.

#21 ·
I went riding with a guy that had a 450R and when I rode it, kicked like butter. He did have it kick back on him once, and almost throw his 270lbs butt off of it. But he admitted that he gave it some throttle so who knows. Being "left-footed", I'm glad I've got the electric start. :)

#23 ·
edgerat said:
the more I think about this the more sceptical I am. You would think the aluminum kicker arm would have busted or the splines on the kicker output shaft would have sheared the teeth off the kicker before this happened. Even if the bike were hydrolocked I would doubt that it would happen. Somethings fishy.......
If you read the link over on ex-riders the possibility of this happening has been discussed ad-naseum. Several of "Their" experts (mechanics) say they have seen it allot, on other big bore 4 strokes and the R. The original poster has NOT yet come up with the pictures of his buddys cracked case. So this is possibly the second R with this damage...and who knows how many that havent been reported...

:roll: I guess some people just need to be smacked upside the head with a 2x4 to know that it hurts... :nod: :smooch:

#24 ·
HATIN' LIFE... :scared:

#25 ·
My buddy just got his 450 and at first it was a little hard to kick and to get started on the first kick like a lot of people say. but after less than a week of riding it is pure butter easy as hell to start and to kick over. Kinda makes me think about doin it to my YFZ if its really this easy to kick start the YFZ, any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.