Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Adjust timing on my banshee

This is a discussion on Adjust timing on my banshee within the Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee (1987-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; Recently I've noticed a clicking noise coming from my engine when it's running. A friend of mine who seems to know what he's talking about ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee (1987-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2002, 12:31 AM   #1

View feti's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Adjust timing on my banshee

Recently I've noticed a clicking noise coming from my engine when it's running. A friend of mine who seems to know what he's talking about suggested I adjust my time, apparently it's "off." I have only two questions. What is my timing, and how do I adjust it?
Old 10-02-2002, 10:36 AM   #2

View WyoDuner's Photo Gallery(0)

Your friend is mistaken. The only thing that relates to timing that I can think of that would make a ticking noise is the pickup coil. If it got bent, it could contact the flywheel as it spins around. I don't think it would even run if that happened though.

Can you describe the ticking noise in more detail?

BTW, the timing cannot be adjusted it is fixed. It can be changed with a different flywheel key or adjustable timing plate but the stock Banshee has no means of adjustment.
WyoDuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 11:30 AM   #3

When my engine is revved I can hear a clicking noise coming from the front of my engine. And I've also noticed lately, that if I put it in gear on a hill, the gear won't keep it from rolling backwards. It's as if it's almost not in gear. I can easly push it backwards when it's in first gear.

Maybe I'm mistaken from what I heard him say. He did work on a warrior my friend owns. He unscrewed something from the left-front side of the engine and was adjusting the pistons to that. Something with a line and a T or F on it? He had a gapper or something that looked like one, and was adjusting "I think" gaps in there. Something about the piston being off. Maybe he has his terminology wrong, but whatever he did improved the performance on my friends warrior. I think he was telling me I need to do the same thing to my banshee.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:29 PM   #4

View meat's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
He unscrewed something from the left-front side of the engine and was adjusting the pistons to that. Something with a line and a T or F on it? He had a gapper or something that looked like one, and was adjusting "I think" gaps in there. Something about the piston being off. Maybe he has his terminology wrong, but whatever he did improved the performance on my friends warrior. I think he was telling me I need to do the same thing to my banshee.
Your buddy was adjusting the valves on the warrior. No valves on da Banshee.

Could something outside the engine be rattling on your banshee that would make you think its coming from inside the engine? Does it tick all the time or only when your moving ?
meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 09:54 PM   #5

Nothing that I know of. The only ticking sound other than one I can't locate, is my kick starter. It's a very distinguishing should coming from the engine. I guess I'll find out what's wrong, when it goes wrong.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee (1987-Present)

Search tags for this page

how to time a yamaha banshee

yamaha banshee timing adjustment

banshee timing

how to set timing on yamaha banshee

timing banshee
how to adjust banshee timing plate
adjusting timing on banshee
how to time a banshee
how to adjust timing on banshee
how to set timming on a yamaha 350 banshee
banshee timing plate
how do u set the timing on a banshee
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.