Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Give me the low down on running 110 octane?

This is a discussion on Give me the low down on running 110 octane? within the Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee (1987-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; I'm looking at a couple banshee's, they both have cool heads and fmf fatties, one runs pump gas and the other runs on 110 octane. ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee (1987-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #1

View exklr's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Give me the low down on running 110 octane?

I'm looking at a couple banshee's, they both have cool heads and fmf fatties, one runs pump gas and the other runs on 110 octane. Would the 110 banshee wear out quicker, or what is the benefit of running 110? Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Crowd Control

Premium Member
View Dextreme's Photo Gallery(0)

It boils down to running the octane that prevents detonation. Usually motors that have higher compression and advanced timing need higher octane. Pump gas has a lower flash point which ignites easier than race gas.

So for instance, on a bone stock atv that is set up from the factory optimized for 87 octane....will have a power loss running 110 octane. BUT....race gas is a better quality and consistant fuel.

Quote:
Would the 110 banshee wear out quicker
It depends on how the motor is configured. The 110 octane is not going to wear the motor out...but the performance parts could cause more frequent rebuilds.

Short video of me

'96 Banshee - Full Ported 385cc 4mil Stroker

Last edited by Dextreme; 05-10-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Dextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Primo Member

Premium Member
View 03LimitedEditionRaptor's Photo Gallery(0)

When you start uping the compression and timing on a banshee it you really notice it in the mid range.

97 Yamaha Banshee - F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill Stroker, CPI Pipes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup,
158 main jets, CEL Needles on the middle clip, 45 Pilots.
03LimitedEditionRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #4

View screaminshee'06's Photo Gallery(0)

110 burning motor isnt gonna wear out faster per say,like DEX said if the performance parts are higher they will be the reson for more frequent rebuilds...but in actuality 110 burns cleaner then pump gas...id prob go wit the one that runs on pump gas myself...if the guy was runnin 110 it was for a reason...most likely to race..in the end the chice is urs....just remember c-12 is like $70 for 5 gallons...well in new york at least
Old 05-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #5

View exklr's Photo Gallery(0)

Since he has the cool head, and he has extra domes for running pump gas....Is it just a simple swap of the domes and it will be converted back? Thanks

Sorry for all the questions, just looking to get back on a banshee, and this thing is nice....not junk like most everything else. Basically he has 17 domes in it right now and has a set of 19 domes that he said you could run 93 octane out of.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
Primo Member

Premium Member

Yep just a simple swap of the domes and you will be back to running pump gas. That is one of the nice things about running a cool head.

97 Yamaha Banshee - F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill Stroker, CPI Pipes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup,
Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Crowd Control

Premium Member
View Warrior's Photo Gallery(0)

In a perfect world with nice clean fuels, running the lowest octane you can without detonation is ideal. It has the most power. Higher octane is generally a higher flash point and less energy per gallon. In reality it isnt a bad idea to run a little higher octane fuel just because it is generally a little higher quality. You could always go to Alky, its nice and cheap compared to race gas or premium. Not real practical, but it is nice having freezing cold intakes and a warm cylinder and pipes instead of burning hot parts.
'04 CR250r
'09 YFZ450r
, Stolen
'09 KTM 505 SX
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #8

warrior ur sayin alky actually runs cooler?i did not know that...and how cheap exactly is it?and how could i convert to run on it?
Old 05-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Primo Member

Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by screaminshee'06 View Post
warrior ur sayin alky actually runs cooler?i did not know that...and how cheap exactly is it?and how could i convert to run on it?
Ever put rubbing alachol on your hand. That cool feeling is because heat is being transfered from your hand to the alachol and is causing the alachol to evaporate. That is how methanol cools your engine. You also go through 2x as much methanol compaired to race fuel with the same mods.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #10

are there bigger power gains by running alky?
Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
Crowd Control

Premium Member
View Warrior's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by 03LimitedEditionRaptor View Post
Ever put rubbing alachol on your hand. That cool feeling is because heat is being transfered from your hand to the alachol and is causing the alachol to evaporate. That is how methanol cools your engine. You also go through 2x as much methanol compaired to race fuel with the same mods.
It seems like a whole lot more than 2x more .

Alky is a pain in the ass. Custom jets, a second jet needs to be added externally to the carb and you need a billet bowl or a fuel pump to supply enough fuel. It is messy and gets over everything, constantly needs tuned for different temperatures and the bike has to be purged of all the alcohol after every ride because it attracts moisture and will cause internal parts to rust. It will allow very high compression and timing advance and burns and runs a whole lot cooler. I noticed a large gain on the track and dyno, but unless its a straight line bike that you dont mind constantly working on it isnt worth the trouble.
'04 CR250r
'09 YFZ450r
, Stolen
'09 KTM 505 SX
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #12

View Banshee Roost's Photo Gallery(0)
thumbs up

I am running VP 110 with Klotz super tenciplate in my banshee with 19cc domes with excelent results! A Texaco station by my house sells the VP 100 110 116 at the pump!
03 Black & Red Banshee - Pro Circuit Platinum Pipes,304 Silencers,Twin Air Power Flow Foam Filter Kit,ADA head 19cc domes,Carbon Tech top end reeds,Trinity Intake's,GYT-R Ignition,Kenda Gnarly tires,Fluidyne radiator,Engine Ice,Pro Design Impellar,PIAA light kit,DG Casesaver.
Banshee Roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #13

View tedd1's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by Banshee Roost View Post
I am running VP 110 with Klotz super tenciplate in my banshee with 19cc domes with excelent results! A Texaco station by my house sells the VP 100 110 116 at the pump!
I'm not too far from you...where is this station located?

Thanks, Rick
tedd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #14

View Banshee Roost's Photo Gallery(0)
thumbs up

Quote: Originally Posted by tedd1 View Post
I'm not too far from you...where is this station located?

Thanks, Rick
The station is the New Texaco in Cresson right out side motorsports ranch race track off HWY 377! Where are you at Graunbury?
03 Black & Red Banshee - Pro Circuit Platinum Pipes,304 Silencers,Twin Air Power Flow Foam Filter Kit,ADA head 19cc domes,Carbon Tech top end reeds,Trinity Intake's,GYT-R Ignition,Kenda Gnarly tires,Fluidyne radiator,Engine Ice,Pro Design Impellar,PIAA light kit,DG Casesaver.

Last edited by Banshee Roost; 08-11-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Banshee Roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #15

View JTRAPTOR660's Photo Gallery(0)

i run sonoco 110 in my bike. race gas requires a high comp kit for it to run properly. there is slight horsepower gain in race fuel but when you get into alky you are talking a whole different game.
trued/welded crank
hinson clutch kit
cut domes
35mm airstrikers
+8 swinger
complete Finally
JTRAPTOR660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #16
Crowd Control

Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by JTRAPTOR660 View Post
there is slight horsepower gain in race fuel
Please clarify why there would be a slight hp gain in race fuel.

Short video of me

Old 08-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #17

View Bama's Photo Gallery(0)

the hp gain i belive truly comes from the higher compression it just takes a racing fuel that is a high octane to prevent the pre-detonation so that the higher compression can be used to it full potential you dont want the fuel air charge popping off before the piston reaches its full stroke also race fuel is made with much better quality control and it burns more consitant than mon and pop gas station 93octane just and example is that you can get 93 octane from 2 different places neither one will be the same consistancy or even have the exact octane rating, ethanol content, they will both have different additive packages in the fuel. dont get me wrong 93 works well no matter where you get it for the most part but if you have an engine with high tolerances a a very narrow line of margin of error race ful would be your best bet it because it will give you the same results everytime without fail

2004 660R
2002 CR250R
2000 XR650R
1990 CR500(sold).....Dinosaurs still rule the earth
Yeay, though I ride through the desert valley in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for i ride the biggest, baddest bike in the valley!!"
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #18

View JTRAPTOR660's Photo Gallery(0)

yeah that
trued/welded crank
hinson clutch kit
cut domes
35mm airstrikers
+8 swinger
complete Finally
JTRAPTOR660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #19
Crowd Control

Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Bama View Post
the hp gain i belive truly comes from the higher compression it just takes a racing fuel that is a high octane to prevent the pre-detonation so that the higher compression can be used to it full potential you dont want the fuel air charge popping off before the piston reaches its full stroke also race fuel is made with much better quality control and it burns more consitant than mon and pop gas station 93octane just and example is that you can get 93 octane from 2 different places neither one will be the same consistancy or even have the exact octane rating, ethanol content, they will both have different additive packages in the fuel. dont get me wrong 93 works well no matter where you get it for the most part but if you have an engine with high tolerances a a very narrow line of margin of error race ful would be your best bet it because it will give you the same results everytime without fail
I agree, however I just want to make sure people don't get confused by thinking running race gas in stock compression motor (120psi'ish) will see a HP gain. The HP gain is from increasing compression, changing the timing, optimizing flow (porting, pipes, carbs),etc...Race gas then prevents detonation from these changes.

I think people often get confused and think, "I want my stock banshee to go faster, so I will run Race Gas", when in turn they loose some HP. But, I know some people don't care as they love the smell of race gas and will run it anyways. =P

Short video of me

Old 08-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #20

View Bama's Photo Gallery(0)

yea some people like it just because it smells good coming out the back

i run a 50/50 mix of race fuel and 91octane and it does give me a better throttle response and out in the desert running wide open 80% of the time helps the engine run a slight bit cooler and with it being a leaded fuel gives the valves a little extra lube
those are my only reasons for even running it.
and your 100% right you will lose some power if you run 110 octane in a 120psi engine its that simple

2004 660R
2002 CR250R
2000 XR650R
1990 CR500(sold).....Dinosaurs still rule the earth
Yeay, though I ride through the desert valley in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for i ride the biggest, baddest bike in the valley!!"
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee (1987-Present)

Search tags for this page

yamaha banshee on 110 octane fuel

running sonoco110 leaded in a super mini

banshee low octane cuasing back fire

banshee 110 octane

110 hp banshee
will race gas help banshee power
how to make a ported yamaha banshee4mill run cooller
how much racing fuel i can put in my yamaha banshee
is racing gas ok for yamaha banshee
how much extra hp does 110 octane will give a banshee
best vp gas for yamaha banshee#gsc.tab
yamaha banshee how to run race gas
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.