Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Banshee Tuning?

This is a discussion on Banshee Tuning? within the Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee (1987-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; I recently purchased a used 2002 Banshee that needed some work (wrecked). I got everything set up good except one aggravating problem. When the bike ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee (1987-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2003, 10:04 AM   #1

View Gears and Crosses's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Banshee Tuning?

I recently purchased a used 2002 Banshee that needed some work (wrecked). I got everything set up good except one aggravating problem. When the bike is sitting still and I go to rev it up to take off the bike whats to die out for a second and then rev. It doesn't actually stall but it would if I kept it at that throttle position. Its like I have a flat spot RIGHT OFF of idle. If I rev over this spot the bike runs fine, but with this much power on hand I want to cure this problem. It also makes it difficult to trail ride which is what I am mostly doing right now.
If I had to guess, I have to say it is a carburator problem right now. It maybe running lean???? Do I need to mess with the idle mixture or the jets?Can anybody help a rookie out? Keep in mind that the bike is BONE stock.
I hope this isn't a TORS problem!?!

Thanks,
Gears
Old 06-11-2003, 10:37 AM   #2
Admizzlstrizzle

Premium Member
View screamin96's Photo Gallery(16)

Hmmmm....bone stock. What do your plugs look like? Have you put new ones in? What oil/fuel ratio do you use?

mike/screamin96
'96 Banshee
'04 YFZ450
'05 Kodiak 450 4x4
'01 Raptor 660R
'?? YF'shee
screamin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks for the response screamin 96,
I don't know what ratio was used, as this is the first tank of gas I used. The bike had a full tank when I bought it. I am filling up today. I plan on using premium Chevron gas with Yamalube at 32:1. Does this sound cool? I will check the plugs on this tank of gas. Do you recommend running at the flat spot, then kill it, then checking them?

Thanks again,
Gears
Old 06-11-2003, 11:29 AM   #4
Admizzlstrizzle

Premium Member
View screamin96's Photo Gallery(16)

That ratio is fine.
But, if it still has the same plugs in it from the previous owner, i would get new ones, and see if that helps.

mike/screamin96
'96 Banshee
'04 YFZ450
'05 Kodiak 450 4x4
'01 Raptor 660R
'?? YF'shee
screamin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 11:45 AM   #5

Good idea screamin 96,
Thanks for the help

Gears
Old 06-11-2003, 03:38 PM   #6

View chocks's Photo Gallery(0)

if the bike has been sitting for too long you might want to drain the tank of all the old gas and fill it with fresh. also try cleaning the carbs, while your in the carbs make sure you check/set the float level, then make sure the carbs are in sync when you reinstall them. the tors is an easy problem to eliminate, the brain box is up by the left front corner of the bike, just below the radiator (trying to recall from memory removed mine a long time ago) just unplug the box if there is no change in the flat spot off of idle than the tors is not the problem.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:36 PM   #7

View yama shee's Photo Gallery(0)

buy a cylmers manual and if you do take the carbs apart to clean out, check out what is in for main and pilot jet. From there, we can help you out on setting it up. Plugs don't cost much, I get mine from a farm fleet type store, dealers want too much. Put new ones in and do a "plug chop", with bike warmed up, run in 6th gear WOT for 6 to 7 seconds, and hit the kill switch without letting off the gas. pull the plugs and look down the insulator towards it's base. You want it to be brownish tan, white is lean and black is rich. get back here and let us know whats up. You could try to adjust your air screw(s), turn them in till the stop (don't force it) counting while you do it. 1/2 turn to 2 turns out is normal and both carbs should be the same, you can even do it while the bike is running. where the bike starts reving higher is the spot where you want to set the screws. Banshee's need attention to run to full potental when the temp change more then 30 degree's

'03 Banshee - FMF Fatty's w/turbineII silencers, Pro-Flow w/K&N filter, so far
yama shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:51 PM   #8

View dawarriorman's Photo Gallery(0)

if it is a jetting problem, and it is right off idle, and he can rev to avoid it, it probably is controled by the pilot circuit, not the main jet size. So running it wide open throttle would only tell him if his main jet was correct, not the pilot circuit. What he would need to do is run it where he notices the problem, so he can determine the jetting at that point. Then if necessary adjust the mixture screw or pilot jet.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:01 AM   #9

View yama shee's Photo Gallery(0)

your right about that dawarriorman, it's just that anytime you buy a used banshee, it's good to know what your dealing with. You never know what the previous owner did.

'03 Banshee - FMF Fatty's w/turbineII silencers, Pro-Flow w/K&N filter, so far
yama shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 11:07 AM   #10

Thanks guy's for the responses
I put in fresh Chevron premium gas with Yamalube at 32:1 in the tank yesturday. The tank was empty when I started filling it. There was no change in the problem. I have new spark plugs and will be putting them in today. I probably disconnect the TORS after I try the plug change. I will keep you updated.

I really believe it is a carburator problem at this point. I think I will get a Clymers manual and get ready to dive in. I made a real quick check on line but I did see a manual for a 2002. Should I just buy one for an older model? Can I get one at a discount anywhere?
Dawarriorman said it :"if it is a jetting problem, and it is right off idle, and he can rev to avoid it" This is exactly what I am doing. This is what I need to do to get the bike rolling. Also when I go slow when making a U-turn it wants to die. I have to rev it up to keep it going. Again the problem occurs when the bike is in gear and as soon as my finger touches the throttle it wants to die out (It doesn't happen when the bike is in neutral). But if I give it alot of gas it will rev past this point and will run fine. It revs out fine and it also idles fine. Does this lead you to believe it is a pilot jet problem??? What do you guys think?
Thanks to everyone on this board I checked my air filter and I noticed the foam near the air box disintegrating. I am going to change that seal for now until I can afford a K&N kit. I beginning to wonder if that crap went into my carbs!?!
Thanks for the info!!!!
Gears
Old 06-12-2003, 01:15 PM   #11

Just to let you guys know the problem has been fixed.
I unplugged the TORS brain and the problem went away. The guys at BansheeHQ clued me in. It has something to with not having enough slack in the throttle cable. I am so glad that this problem is fixed. It is so much easier to drive now :) :) .

Chocks thanks for the TORS help.
Dawarriorman and Yamashee thanks for the info on "plug chopping" and tuning. I was reading about that on this forum and didn't know exactly what they meant. The bike is still a little soggy on the bottom (but that may be normal for Banshees), so I still may need a little more tuning.
This is not my first bike but it is my first Shee. All others have been two strokes as well. Don't you just love a powerband!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank You for all your help,
Gears
Old 06-12-2003, 04:14 PM   #12

View factory effex's Photo Gallery(0)

yep,banshee's dont have the best bottom end but thats why you gotta keep em revving like a 125!!it aint as bad once you get a pipe on it :)
~#145-Logan~
'00 Cr 125- Way too much to list now!

'97 Ford Ranger-Red Neons, Future-X Bedliner and Bed Rails
factory effex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 04:25 PM   #13

View BlueBlast's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by factory effex
yep,banshee's dont have the best bottom end but thats why you gotta keep em revving like a 125!!it aint as bad once you get a pipe on it :)
Actually, most pipes make the bottom end worse...and harder to keep in the powerband.
BlueBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 08:10 PM   #14

I kinda like the powerband of the bike so far... If it could be a little crisper on the bottom and a hair more at the very top, that would be fantastic. Any suggestions? I was thinking of a boost bottle, reeds and a K&N. Will this give me what I need.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:28 PM   #15

Gears and Crosses, I wouldn't waste my money on a boost bottle as they are worthless. They just look cool Reeds, they add a little bit of power...but its not cost effective thats probably one of the last things I'd do. And about the air filter--I WOULD do this get the air box adaptor and k&n. Noss Machine makes a high quality adaptor. This adaptor should be one of the first mods a banshee owner should do, it will save the engine from a terrible death!
Old 06-13-2003, 11:07 PM   #16

View 1fatcat's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by Gears and Crosses
I kinda like the powerband of the bike so far... If it could be a little crisper on the bottom and a hair more at the very top, that would be fantastic. Any suggestions? I was thinking of a boost bottle, reeds and a K&N. Will this give me what I need.
A hair more on top?!? The Banshee is best known for it's top end! You may have something wrong yet? Have you done a plug chop after the tors problem was solved? If not, you realy should. The main jets and the needle clip possitions are the only two carb settings that control fuel metering at wide open throttle (WOT).
Old 06-14-2003, 10:07 AM   #17

View NitrousGuy's Photo Gallery(0)

also, check to see if your expantion chambers have ANY signs of dents.
any dent in a 2 stroke expantion chamber will throw off the powercurve somewhere in the rpm range.

"The Lord Helps Me, So I Will Not Be Ashamed. I Will Be Determined. And I Know I Will Not Be Disgraced" ~ Isaiah 50:7

" And What We Have Is Much More Than They Can See" ~ DeLaSoul
NitrousGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 11:10 AM   #18

Quote: Originally Posted by nitrousguy
also, check to see if your expantion chambers have ANY signs of dents.
any dent in a 2 stroke expantion chamber will throw off the powercurve somewhere in the rpm range.
I don't think that could be it...it would need to be a HUGE dent. I had some dents from a banshee+pebbles on my blasters pipe and They didn't effect performance noticably. Stock shee's powerbands are very smooth

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee (1987-Present)

Search tags for this page

banshee tuning tips

banshee tuning

yamaha banshee tuning

banshee carb tuning

tuning a banshee

yamaha banshee performance tips
yamaha banshee tips and tricks
how to tune up a banshee
banshee 350 tuning
how to tune the accelerator cable on a banshee
yamaha banshee tricks
2002 banshee tune
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.