Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

banshee carb. leak

This is a discussion on banshee carb. leak within the Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee (1987-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; anyone ever had a problem with the float bowls on there banshee keep leaking?(out the over flow line)The floats are not stuck,and the drain screws ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee (1987-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2003, 08:29 AM   #1

View rickman's Photo Gallery(0)
Default banshee carb. leak

anyone ever had a problem with the float bowls on there banshee keep leaking?(out the over flow line)The floats are not stuck,and the drain screws in the bowl are tight,we even tried different bowls.and sometime they leak and sometime they dont.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
Primo Member

Premium Member
View Banshee2001's Photo Gallery(0)

You need to check the float level. Here is how you do that.

Hold the carb with the throttle bore vertical and the float hinge at the top so that the floats can swing freely. Swing the floats with your finger to verify they are free and operating properly. Now, just rotate the carb towards the upside-down position only until the floats just sit down on the float needle valve. Any more rotation will cause the weight of the floats to push down on the spring loaded float needle valve and you will get an erroneous reading. The proper angle is about a 45 degree angle from vertical.

At this point with either a metric measuring scale or the tail end of a pair of calipers (or other such accurate measuring device) measure the distance from the float bowl gasket surface -- WITHOUT THE GASKET-- to the top of the float itself. This measurement should be 21mm exactly on both floats. If you get some other reading just bend or tweak the float arms until you get this setting. Just don't bend them sideways so that they may interfere with the float bowl itself. Check for clearance when you are finished. When you are satisfied they are perfect, replace the float bowl gasket and float bowl.
Bars, +4 Degree Key, Cool Head
w/22cc Domes
Banshee2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 12:20 PM   #3

View Bluetraxx_member's Photo Gallery(0)

i had the problem when i was putting pipes on my shee
it ended up being a glogged seat for the needle. My idea you need to take the carbs off and get come carb cleaner and spray them really good inside and out and then blow air through it to clear anything else out and then it should be fine.
Bluetraxx_member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 05:49 AM   #4

View rickman's Photo Gallery(0)

I adjusted the floats and it dont leak !
but It seamed like I had to adjust them quite a bit.
I tryed to adjust them before but I never had the right adjustment. thanks alot.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:16 PM   #5

View Bubba Z's Photo Gallery(0)

Thats funny you mentioned that Bluetraxx_member.I had the exact same problem when I put my pipes on.I think when I flipped the carbs on their sides,some crap that was in the bottom of the bowls backflowed into the needle/seat.I checked the float level twice before I decided to drain the fuel bowls and blow some compressed air into the fuel inlets on the carbs.Cleared the problem right up.
Bubba Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee (1987-Present)

Search tags for this page

banshee carbs leaking

yamaha banshee float height

banshee float adjustment
yamaha banshee carbs leaking
how to set banshee floats
carbs leaking on banshee
why carbs leak and banshee
how to adjust float on yamaha banshee
banshee carb bowls
replace banshee float bowl
bad banshee carb gasket?
what causes banshee carbs to leak
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.