Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Blaster HELP!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Blaster HELP!!!!!! within the Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; I bought this bike for my son for christmas, he has rode it since and all seems well. I had to take a link out ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #1

View texas24's Photo Gallery(0)
sad Blaster HELP!!!!!!

I bought this bike for my son for christmas, he has rode it since and all seems well. I had to take a link out of the chain sunday and got all done, I jumped on it to run up the street. I heard a popping almost the sound of a chain slipping, but it was not the chain. The bike died and started back up but had lost all the power at times. I rode it back and noticed the head gasket had a leak and had the fuel oil mix coming out around the crank case.It was never there before. I pulled the head off and soo on. Im obviously going to replace the gasket. my question is do you think that could be the only problem causing it to die and lose power like that? What else could the noise have been? Is there a way I should check anything in the bottom end? We are taking a trip to Windrock mountain Coal Creek and want to get this fixed asap.Thank you for your help! James
texas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #2

View lafedog75's Photo Gallery(0)

How long did you ride it after you swapped out chain? If the chain is fine it could just need a new set of top end gaskets. Just check the piston, top end and rings for wear. My son also has a blaster and he blew his top end, very easy to work on, and when in doubt there is youtube.
lafedog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #3

I only got to ride it for two to three minutes. I did mash on it hard but either way it would start up and run just would lose all the power and it would come back. It had never done it before. you could also here the clicking inside the motor come as soon as it did is when it would die.I pulled the rings off and don't know how to tell if they are worn. They look good to me but I've never changed a set. Do I need to lube the piston with anything before I put it back in or is that just a new one?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #4

it also has always had that rattling noise in the top end that some say is fine and others say is a slap from the piston from reading on here.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #5

View dakotademon7's Photo Gallery(0)

You want to put it back together. Do a compression test first to see where your at. Then you want to do a leak test. If that all works out fine, then you want to do a plug chop to check your jetting.
dakotademon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #6

What is a plug chop? Is that where you heat the plug up to see the color? I have heard about checking jetting and never done it. My 04 yfz450 was used when I got it and I have been wanting to see if its jetted right as well as the blaster.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #7

You use your old plug to warm it up then you put a new plug in and run it flat out threw all the gears. Hold it full throttle for for about 10 sec then hit the kill switch and come to a stop. Take the plug out and cut the treads off to see what color the rind on the white part is.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #8

funny found it

Alright like an idiot I never noticed the skirt on the exaust side is shattered off and it looks like its a 1.00mm bore size which tell me if I'm right it needs .010 bigger and that puts me at 1.25 which is a total of .050 over bore from stock? I'm a newb at all this. Also which pistons should we be looking at? Wiseco or others? How much does a machine shop normally charge to do the work on the head?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #9

WisEco is the best. With everything to do a top end will run you about $200. Namora is a good brand of gasket but you want to use a new Yamaha stock base gasket. It would be wise to invest in a leak tester. There have been many people that have dome a new top end and blow it up because they had a gasket leak.A shop will tell you the rite size piston to get when they do the bore and hone.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #10

I don't see the pieces of the skirt I guess they have fallen down into the bottom end..... I will need to pull the whole bottom end apart to make sure everything is out won't I? I wonder the chance of damage down in there. I will get one of those leak testers, where do I get one of those? I can get a compression test gauge at autozone right? Or is there a cheaper solution? Thanks for all the help you guys rock!!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #11

The easiest way to get the peices out of the motor is to take it out of the frame and turn it upside-down . Blow it out with compressed air real good. Make sure you have safety glasses on when you do this. This is done with the cyclender off the motor. When you get the jug off check for rode play. There should very little side play and no up and down play. The parts store is good for a compression gauge. You can build your own leak tester but in my opinion it's better to buy one. It's a pain in the ass looking all over for the rite parts to make one. I know a guy that builds and sells them. The last time I checked, that where $30 shipped. Not sure if there still that price. I'll get you a link.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #12

Leak down tester
leak-down testers - Yamaha Blaster Forum
Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #13

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INFO I WILL GET AT IT AND LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT I WILL GET SOME PICS ON HERE SOON THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JAMES
Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #14

blah CRANK CASE

I have ordered the flywheel puller but the crankcase splitting tool is like 175 and thats too much. How do you split that case open easily without the tool.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #15

View 2006YamahaBanshee's Photo Gallery(0)

When my head gasket whent my blaster lost alot of its power
2006YamahaBanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #16

DOES ANYONE KNOW???????????????
Old 02-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #17

View AWK08's Photo Gallery(0)

no safe way to split the cases without the tool, you risk damaging the case halves and causing more leaks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present)

Tags
power lost

Search tags for this page

yamaha blaster head gasket

what will make a yamaha blaster loose power

yamaha blaster blown head gasket

yamaha blaster piston slap

yamaha blaster blown engine

yamaha blaster head gasket install

blown base gasket blaster

my blaster piston has 1.00 on it

2001 blaster bore to a 249 y it cut in and out

how to tell if you have an exaust leak on a yamaha blaster

changing head gasket in yamaha blaster
how to split a blaster motor
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.