Blue Traxx Forum banner

axle/swingarm bearing help

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  high_octane94 
#1 ·
hey my freind has a 99 blaster and is in desperate need of rear end bearings. his whole axle moves and just lately its been making a disgusting sound.im pretty sure they are all smashed from riding with them loose and stuff. im not very familiar with yamahas so what bearings does he need to buy and whats an estimate price on getting a full set of rear end bearings. also is there a link that can tell me the steps on installing them so we dont have to take it to a dealer. is it a hard job? his quad is in the paper for sale so we want to fix it before he has a buyer. thanks a ton. please help

#2 ·
The rear end bearing's and seals run you about 30 bucks I think.I replaced mine about 2 years back and it was fairly easy.I popped the axle out after taking the other stuff off of it,and then took a big punch,stock it in one end and knocked the opposite ended bearing/seal out.If they are stuck take a torch to them and barely heat them up and try again :tup: When you instal the new ones make sure there are no metal filings or any burrs in there that would destroy the new set.Take some fine grit sand paper and a dremel and smooth it out and clean it up in there.Then last of all,recoat them with some anti-seize and grease.While they are out,I would also suggest drilling a hole in your carrier,and inserting a grease zerk,that way you can grease them every few rides and they will last longer this way :tup: When you put them in,if they don't wanna go in easy,take a socket slightly bigger that the inner diameter of the bearing and a small hammer and LIHTLY tap them in :) Hope this helps you get them in easier :tup:

#3 ·
You can't grease them unless you use greaseable bearings. The ones that you will get at a dealership, or from an atv site are sealed...a grease zerk will do nothing.

But get those bearings out ASAP because the same thing happened to me and it ate my carrier. Its pretty easy to change them make sure you get the bearings and also the seals for both sides

#4 ·
I guess I should ahve cleared up a bit I guess.I know they are sealed,what I meant was it would keep the outskirts of the bearing from getting dry and then getting torn up :tup: Plus,it will prevent water and mud-dirt from packing on your bearings if you ride through some mud quite a bit.

#6 ·
Get a complete kit from pivot works or all balls out of a rockymountain mag. They end up being a lot easier than going to the dealer with all those part numbers. All in one kit. Get a clymer manual for all the procedures on how to install them. Its all pretty easy ecept for when u have to take out the axel

#8 ·
When I did my axle on the warrior I had to beat the old axle out with a sledge hammer.... Was a PITA :s96: just an fyi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.