Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

top speed for stock blaster

This is a discussion on top speed for stock blaster within the Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; stock blaster top speed...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2002, 08:44 PM   #1

View kbatson05's Photo Gallery(0)

stock blaster top speed
kbatson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 08:48 PM   #2

View BANSHEEKING's Photo Gallery(0)

about 57 mph. being it stock.
BANSHEEKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:32 AM   #3

View Blasterkid13's Photo Gallery(0)

bansheeking you got to be crazy the horespower is 16-17 hp thats it goes about 50 top stock mine right goes about 62 right now
Blasterkid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 02:02 PM   #4

View slickrick's Photo Gallery(0)

Sorry but even with nobody on it and it riding down a hill with the wind at your back are you going to get a stock Blaster at 57. Out the box on a great 75 degree day with 180 pound guy on my Blaster did it creap at 50/52 flat hard packed surface. The more wear the less compression and that means slightly slower top end, granted it may only be 1 MPH but hey...thats one more I could be going. I've heard all the stories, like, "My cousin has a friend that knows a cop that let us use his radar gun and...." or better yet, "I used my GPS to..."...look I paid $2799 cash for my Blater brand new in the box and and would love to be able to say that for that money I got a ATV almost as fast as a stock Shee....but I'd be a liar. I ride with 2 other guys that have Blaters and they are in the range...some slower due to weight issues.
slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 06:09 PM   #5

View mxracer27's Photo Gallery(0)

i dont know about stock, but mine has lower gearing and my mom was going 55mph in her van and i caught her and passed her.
mxracer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 06:14 PM   #6

View dirt817's Photo Gallery(0)

I got about 56mph with my friend's gps in my pocket, and those things are never wrong, good within about 1-2mph. But that was when I first got it.
dirt817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 06:17 PM   #7

View LSRBlaster3's Photo Gallery(0)

mine almost keeps up with cars on the side of the highway so itll do close to 65 on paved roads. it also has about $2000 into it.
2001 Blaster: Lone Star +4" roundhousing swingarm, Works Dual-rate fronts, Graydon pipe/silencer, oil inj block off, RK chain, 18x11x8 turfs, 20x6x10 holeshots, Aktive reeds, billet reed spacer, tether switch, Renthal bars, AC bumper and alot more......
LSRBlaster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 06:53 PM   #8

View RAPTORMEAN's Photo Gallery(0)

9,635,782.3 mph thats with a reed spacer!!
trail tech bar clamp and panoram computer
original Maxxis Razr's on all corners
RAPTORMEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 07:04 PM   #9

View 99blaster210's Photo Gallery(0)

i agree with raptormean lol
99Blaster-.80 Wiseco piston,Hot Rod connecting rod,Hot Rod crank,milled head,ported cylinder,Vitos gaskets,Bills pipe,FMF scilencer,Boyesen rad valve,reed spacer,k&n filter,+2 lonestar swingarm,+6 dura-blue axle,ceet graphics,douglas rims,+more
99blaster210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 10:32 PM   #10

View sicshee2002's Photo Gallery(0)

Mine did 56 stock and does 60 now
sicshee2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:36 PM   #11

View WyoDuner's Photo Gallery(0)

slickrick, you seem to imply that a GPS is not accurate. I'm interested to know why you think that. Let me know so I can prove you wrong.
WyoDuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 09:38 AM   #12

View slickrick's Photo Gallery(0)

WyoDuner,

First you need to understand what GPS is, Iím not going to get into it here, there is enough knowledge on the web (some good, some bad) that people can read off line.

Once you understand what it is and how it functions you know that there is faults in the system, granted much less since the government stopped scrambling the single using Dithering, however, Doppler-Shift does still exist and therefore you need something designed from the ground up to take this into effect. The only system I know off that was designed to measure speed utilizing GPS and takes all known variables into account is VBOX by RaceLogic. More on VBOX can be found here:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/vbox.htm

There is a lot to take into consideration when using GPS to determine your speed; it isnít as simple as determining position A, race really fast to position B and measuring your time with a stop watch and using basic math to come up with a number.

As previously stated there is the Doppler-Shift to take into consideration as well as some of the issues below:

Dithering - while no longer an issue from the signal being sent, a lot of GPS systems where made to ďadjustĒ for it and are now more inaccurate then before due to it not having to adjust any longer.

Differential GPS - A technique to improve GPS accuracy that uses pseudorange errors measured at a known location to improve the measurements made by other GPS receivers within the same general geographic area, without it your less accurate.

Dilution of Precision - An indicator of satellite geometry for a unique constellation of satellites used to determine a position. Positions tagged with a higher DOP value generally constitute poorer measurement results than those tagged with lower DOP.

Kinematic positioning - Kinematic positioning refers to applications in which the position of a non-stationary object (automobile, ship, bicycle) is determined. Just using a plain GPS and a stopwatch isnít sufficient.

Multi-channel receiver - A GPS receiver that can simultaneously track more than one satellite signal. There are 24 Satellites used for the GPS system used by the majority in the USA, however, there is another system implemented by the Soviet Union named Global Navigation Satellite System or GLONASS for short. The more channels the more accurate you GPS.

Multipath error - Errors caused by the interference of a signal that has reached the receiver antenna by two or more different paths. This is usually caused by one path being bounced or reflected. Such as by Microwave Towers, Power lines, Power Plants ETC.

While GPS systems are highly accurate for a stationary object such as a hiker in the mountains or a missile base, once that object is in motion it is a whole other ball game.

I welcome a rebuttal if you feel up to it.
slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 11:59 AM   #13
Primo Member

Premium Member
View edge's Photo Gallery(0)

How do you know a stock Blaster can only do a max of 57mph?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: edgey2k on 2002-03-01 11:02 ]</font>
edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 02:17 PM   #14

View MaxPerformance's Photo Gallery(0)

Ok the stick speed is 59. The way i know is www.howfast.(something,something,something).
MaxPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 02:55 PM   #15

View onewickedblaster's Photo Gallery(0)

The truth is that there is no one who can say with any degree of certainty what the exact "top speed" of the Blaster or any other quad is. There are a too many variables like the weight of the rider, weather conditions, surface, method used for clocking, calibration, etc. You could get two brand new Blasters from the factory and they would probably run within a few MPH's of one another..but probably not exactly the same speed. These numbers are just approximates or averages....median numbers if you will. 57 mph is a pretty good estimate of the average top speed of a brand new, stock Blaster. Some are slightly faster...some a little slower. No need to make it any more complicated than that. Peace!
1988 Pro-Mod MX BLASTER- 240cc, Ported, Polished, Head Mods, Keihn 35PWK, Paul Turner "Hi-Rev" w/ Fat Boy Silencer, +5 Chromoly Swingarm, +2+1 Chromoly A-Arms, Shocks w/ cans- Watch for the YZ250 Blanshee..soon!
onewickedblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 03:33 PM   #16
Primo Member

Premium Member
View edge's Photo Gallery(0)

lol I'll go with that onewickedblaster. :)
edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 04:38 PM   #17

View SubyRex's Photo Gallery(0)

Well, if you know all the specs of the blaster, you can figure out the maximum THEORETICAL speeds at what gear with a spreadsheet on the 'net. Nice and real easy to use, just punch in numbers and you've got results

check it out!

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...t/9/page1.html
SubyRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 05:05 PM   #18

View blaster30's Photo Gallery(0)

I have a 14 tooth front sproket and I have been clocked at 65 MPH. On 2 seprate days by 2 diffrent people. I just put some holeshots on and I think I lost some top end now..
blaster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 05:13 PM   #19

View rlane's Photo Gallery(0)

I havent tried to speed check my blaster, but we did run a buddies 93 blaster next to a car. It has been ridden little, but never rebuilt, compltely stock. I ran right at 60 MPH. Take into account that he only weighs 135 pounds and was on a very smooth paved road. He is a little guy so the wind resistance was also low.
rlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 05:41 PM   #20

View WyoDuner's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
On 2002-03-01 08:38, slickrick wrote:
WyoDuner,

First you need to understand what GPS is, Iím not going to get into it here, there is enough knowledge on the web (some good, some bad) that people can read off line.

>Luckily I do understand what it is and how it works.

Once you understand what it is and how it functions you know that there is faults in the system, granted much less since the government stopped scrambling the single using Dithering, however, Doppler-Shift does still exist and therefore you need something designed from the ground up to take this into effect. The only system I know off that was designed to measure speed utilizing GPS and takes all known variables into account is VBOX by RaceLogic. More on VBOX can be found here:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/vbox.htm

>The advantage of the vbox is not it's accuracy so much as it's rapid speed calculation update. They claim that it uses a survey grade GPS engine but that has no bearing on speed, just position.

>There are 2 signals available by GPS, PPS and SPS which stand for Precise or Standard positioning system. PPS (Survey grade) requires reception of the L1 and L2 signals while regular GPS only receive L1 signals. I don't know if the vbox truly utilizes the PPS signal or not.

There is a lot to take into consideration when using GPS to determine your speed; it isnít as simple as determining position A, race really fast to position B and measuring your time with a stop watch and using basic math to come up with a number.

>You are correct; sort of. GPS doesn't measure speed using time over distance calculations but instead it calculates the doppler shift of the received signals. It does this very accurately because each satellite caries a Cesium beam time standard (very accurate). This Cesium standard not only keeps the satellites accurate but also keeps your GPS accurate; essentially your GPS receives it's own timing corrections from the satellite which is the heart of it's ability to accurately measure speed by calculating doppler shift.

As previously stated there is the Doppler-Shift to take into consideration as well as some of the issues below:

>I'm not sure what you're trying to say here but doppler is how speed is measured by GPS. Radar uses doppler too but, as I just explainedr, is missing one big advantage of GPS - self calibration.

Dithering - while no longer an issue from the signal being sent, a lot of GPS systems where made to ďadjustĒ for it and are now more inaccurate then before due to it not having to adjust any longer.

>I think you mean SA (Selective Availability). SA applies a time bias to the L1 (SPS) signal on each satellite. Well, it used to as it's been turned off for 2 years.

>Not true about older GPS units being built to adjust to SA. That's the first time I ever heard that rumor; interesting though.

Differential GPS - A technique to improve GPS accuracy that uses pseudorange errors measured at a known location to improve the measurements made by other GPS receivers within the same general geographic area, without it your less accurate.

>Has nothing to do with speed measuring. Besides, D-GPS isn't really widely used as far as I can tell. PPS is more commonly used.

Dilution of Precision - An indicator of satellite geometry for a unique constellation of satellites used to determine a position. Positions tagged with a higher DOP value generally constitute poorer measurement results than those tagged with lower DOP.

>More accurately, GDOP which is Geometric Dilution Of Precision. Yes, the correlation between you and the satellites does have an impact on the accuracy of measurements. But, since all modern GPS receivers have 12 channel parallel receivers and you can easily see 8 to 12 satellites at a time on open terrain this is not a valid consideration for speed measurements.

Kinematic positioning - Kinematic positioning refers to applications in which the position of a non-stationary object (automobile, ship, bicycle) is determined. Just using a plain GPS and a stopwatch isnít sufficient.

>Uhh, ok. And this has to do with what?

Multi-channel receiver - A GPS receiver that can simultaneously track more than one satellite signal. There are 24 Satellites used for the GPS system used by the majority in the USA, however, there is another system implemented by the Soviet Union named Global Navigation Satellite System or GLONASS for short. The more channels the more accurate you GPS.

>All GPS receivers are multichannel otherwise they wouldn't work. What you are trying to say is that there are sequential and parallel multichannel receivers. ALL GPS receivers in the past 4 or so years have been 12 channel parallel receivers. This simply means that it receive 12 satellites at once as opposed to sequencing through them one by one. I doubt this has any real bearing on speed measurements.

>More channels do not necessarily mean more accuracy. There is really never more than 12 satellites visable to you at any given time.

>Also, there are 28 GPS satellites in orbit, not 24. 24 are operational and 4 are in-orbit spares or in maintenance right now.

Multipath error - Errors caused by the interference of a signal that has reached the receiver antenna by two or more different paths. This is usually caused by one path being bounced or reflected. Such as by Microwave Towers, Power lines, Power Plants ETC.

>Yes, this can account for up to a whopping .5 meters of distance innacuracy. Again, this has little to no bearing on speed measurements.

While GPS systems are highly accurate for a stationary object such as a hiker in the mountains or a missile base, once that object is in motion it is a whole other ball game.

>Sorry, wrong again. GPS in usable everyday terms is more accurate for speed measurements than location measurements. A consumer grade GPS is accurate to about 30 meters in distance and .1 MPH in velocity.

I welcome a rebuttal if you feel up to it.

>I do and I did. By the way, did you cut and past this out of a "GPS for dummies" book?
WyoDuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present)

Search tags for this page

2002 yamaha blaster specs

2001 yamaha blaster specs

01 blaster top speed
1995 yamaha blaster specs
yamaha blaster top speed
1999 yamaha blaster top speed
98 yamaha blaster specs
98 blaster specs
02 blaster specs
1998 yamaha blaster 200 top speed
98 yamaha blaster top speed
2002 yamaha blaster top speed
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.