Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Crank Bearing replacement

This is a discussion on Crank Bearing replacement within the Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; Well im puttin new crank bearings in the cases and I froze the bearing and put the case half in the oven for a little ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2004, 10:00 PM   #1

View Pjw350's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Crank Bearing replacement

Well im puttin new crank bearings in the cases and I froze the bearing and put the case half in the oven for a little bit but still even after that I couldnt get the bearing to slide all the way in. Anyone have any tips on replacing them for a blaster.
01' Grizzly
90' YZ250
Pjw350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:21 PM   #2

View tbone07's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Crannk Bearings

i just put crank bearing in my blaster. Me and mxthunder took a heat lamp and put it over the place where the bearing was going to go in. Meanwhile we had the bearings in the freezer. The bearings will not just slide in. You might have to use a rubber mallet and a socket extension to pound it in. DO NOT POUND ON THE INNER RING OF THE BEARING! This will ruin it. Pound on the outside ring only. Give it a little time and finesse and it should go in. Even though it says not to in the manual a mechanis said that i could use a burnsomatic torch to heat it up. Dont heat it up too much or you can warp the case half. do all of this and you should get the bearing in easily.

DO NOT POUND ON THE INNER RING OF THE BEARING

www.ohiomafiariders.com
tbone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:49 AM   #3

View hollywooddirt's Photo Gallery(0)

Do NOT pound the bearing at all, you will either break the case or distort the case where the bearing sits, take the case halves to either a machine shop, car dealer, or cycle shop that has a press, even if you have to pay a couple bucks, its worth it to have them installed right, if they are not true in the case to one another, the crank will be put on a bind and ruin the bearings in a matter of minutes upon start up, again, DO NOT pound the bearings in what so ever, use a PRESS, bad, bad advice
hollywooddirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 11:23 AM   #4

View blaster105's Photo Gallery(0)

i dont wanna start another thread but when i took my crank out the bearing was stuck on the crank, how might i take it off.
***wanted stock 350cc motor***
blaster105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 02:48 PM   #5

View high_octane94's Photo Gallery(0)

use a puller
Old 05-01-2004, 04:13 PM   #6

I was told what to do by a yamaha mechanic so you cant say that its bad advice. My bearings were perfect when i was done with them. Just use caution and dont hit it too hard

www.ohiomafiariders.com
Old 05-01-2004, 09:36 PM   #7

View Pjw350's Photo Gallery(0)

I tried again today and froze the bearing and baked the cases for a few minutes then i took a torch and heated up the case and the bearing slid right in with a little tapping from a rubber mallet. Thanks tbone for your help
01' Grizzly
90' YZ250
Pjw350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by tbone07
I was told what to do by a yamaha mechanic so you cant say that its bad advice. My bearings were perfect when i was done with them. Just use caution and dont hit it too hard
A yamaha mechanic told you that, shame on him, that IS bad advice, he should know better than that.

You also need a bearing puller to get the bearing off the shaft, its a half moon type puller the you tighten the nuts on 2 threaded shaft and it squeezes the jaws of the puller together and lifts the bearing from the shaft, harbor frieght has them for about 20.00, good tool to have.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #9

View mxthunder's Photo Gallery(0)

I have been changing all kinds of crank bearings like that by changing the temperature, and using a drift to pound on the outer/inner race, depending on what your putting the bearing on/into. It will not do any damage to the bearing if you know what you are doing, and you do it properly.
04 YFZ450 - WR Kit, CP 13:1 piston, PC Ti-4 pipe, hotcam intake, cam mod, YZ clutch mod, GYTR basket, FCI intake, jetted, scotts fuel screw, 1" lowering peg nerfs, LSR axle, 15T front sproket, Tag bars, PRM desert grab bar, AC bumper, MXR4 rears, skid plate, pro design kill, various other weight saving mods. | OhioMafiaRiders
mxthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:49 AM   #10

Preach on

www.ohiomafiariders.com
Old 05-02-2004, 12:06 PM   #11

the key word there was PROPERLY, you know 95% of blaster owners are kids and pounding a bearing in means exactly that, POUNDING, that's the point I'm trying to make, is that isn't real good advice to give a teenager, I have seen many a broken cases from kids pounding in bearings, screw drivers used to hold clutch baskets, screws stripped and so on, I'll stick to using the old hydralic press for removing and installing bearings
Old 05-02-2004, 01:31 PM   #12

View high_octane94's Photo Gallery(0)

i tried holding my clutch basket with a screwdriver once...and i broke it of course...but i learnt my lesson

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present)

Search tags for this page

blaster crank bearings how

banshee crank bearing placement

yamaha blaster crankshaft bearing removal

yamaha blaster crank bearings

yamaha blaster crank bearing replacement

yamaha 450 grizzly crankshaft bearings

2001 yamaha grizzly 600 crank bearing
honda 600 scooter how to remove crank bearing from crankshaft
how to change crank bearings how to change oil in a 660 raptor
how to replace crank on a 2000 yamaha grizzly
replace crank blaster
crank bearing yamaha warrior
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.