Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Blaster liquid cooled head

This is a discussion on Blaster liquid cooled head within the Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...455131&r=0&t=0 Hello, I was just curious to see what everyones opinion on this liquid cooled cylindar head was. I saw this thing up on ebay ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2002, 06:22 PM   #1

View KRUM5150's Photo Gallery(0)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...455131&r=0&t=0

Hello, I was just curious to see what everyones opinion on this liquid cooled cylindar head was. I saw this thing up on ebay a while back. Is anyone running it? The guy who makes them claims to have sold 20 of them so far. Would cooling the head with out directly cooling the cylindar propose any problems? This thing would be rad with a water pump from a dt200... Whats everyones take on this?
KRUM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 07:14 PM   #2

View dirt817's Photo Gallery(0)

while liquid cooling only the head is still better than air cooling...its just not all that great in my opinion. The head you are talking about also raises compression significantly. It would also be hard to use a dt200 pump, because of the way the water is pumped out.
dirt817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 10:00 PM   #3

View KRUM5150's Photo Gallery(0)

Dirt, what do you mean by:

"It would also be hard to use a dt200 pump, because of the way the water is pumped out."??

Are you refering to the direction that the inlet and outlets face on the blaster bottom end side cover? About the compression, the guy says he will machine the combustion chamber to any amount of cc's/compression you want.
KRUM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 10:04 PM   #4

on the dt pump, the water enters the front part of the pump through an inlet port that a hose clamps on to. However, the water is them pumped through a plastis elbow into the cylinder, there is nowhere for another hose to clamp on to. To make it work you would need another port welded into the port so a hose could clamp on, and that would not be easy with the cooling fins in the way.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:49 AM   #5

View DT200Blaster's Photo Gallery(0)

actualy it would work realy good with the DT125 pump and radiator parts, verry easy to thread a pipe into the blasters side case for that water jacket hose to fit, most of the heat in any engine is created in the head it would work great with a 240 or a plated, 200cm, ported machine making over 30HP, other then that, it's just extra weight, and stuff to fail, that you don't need, on a stock engine. also before you buy it make sure you can buy parts for it, like seals or what ever might need to be replaced on a regular basis.
DT200Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:19 PM   #6

View BlueBlast's Photo Gallery(0)

Looks like that thing would be pretty ugly, because of the cooling fins...and that together just wouldn't look right
BlueBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 08:50 PM   #7

View 99blueblaster's Photo Gallery(0)

I would be carefull about buying that head. I cant remember the company's name right now but I called to ask about the head. They said they no longer sold the water cooled head because the company making the radiators for the syphon effect quit making them and there was no other company making a radiator that would work. I guess it has to be a very small radiator for the syphoning to work correctly. Anyway it was a well known company making them and they quit. I dont think it will work with just any old radiator.
99blueblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:12 PM   #8

I think duncan used to sell that kit, I remember seeing it on blaster central. And yes, they did quit making them.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:16 AM   #9

View kOoLbOi56's Photo Gallery(0)

i bought a simular water cooled head for my YSR50. the YSR engine is very simular to the blaster motor but on a smaller scale. i reciently asked a well know motor cycle "guru" that use to work for Yamaha about these heads. this is what he replied to me:

This is old technology that didn't work very good when it was new. The problem is there is no positive direction of flow for the coolant so it overheats locally and boils before it gets warm enough to work properly. It's a great concept held back by the dynamics of the system. That's why proper liquid cooling systems have a pump. It won't allow the coolant to get hot enough to boil in a localized manner and produce hot spots in the head, which causes pre-ignition and can cause detonation if it goes on long enough. Don't waste your money unless you put a pump with it.

in a nut shell, spend your money else where.
kOoLbOi56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present)

Search tags for this page

yamaha blaster liquid cooled kit

yamaha blaster cooling system

yamaha blaster radiator

yamaha blaster water cooled head

yamaha blaster liquid cooled head
blaster liquid cooled head
liquid cooled blaster head
blaster water cooled head
water cooled head for yamaha blaster
yamaha blaster radiator kit
radiador yamaha blaster
liquid cooled yamaha blaster
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.