Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Quick fix for Blaster Brake

This is a discussion on Quick fix for Blaster Brake within the Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; my blaster has the worst brakes ever. does anybody have a quick fix for the rear brake on a blaster. i have come very close ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2002, 11:26 PM   #1

View badblaster's Photo Gallery(0)

my blaster has the worst brakes ever. does anybody have a quick fix for the rear brake on a blaster. i have come very close to hitting trees and its time to do something about it.

thanx
2K blue blaster-wiseco piston-jl oil injection block off-shockwears-boysen power reeds-uni air filter-itp 10 inch .190's w/20 inch razr's
badblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:35 PM   #2
Primo Member

Premium Member
View Holstein660R's Photo Gallery(0)

Welcome to Bluetraxx!!!

The Blaster's brakes are notorious for being a bad setup!! They should have been hydralic straight from the factory, but unfortunately there not! The rear brakes aren't your primary brakes to use to get stopped fast. I usually use my front brakes and tap my rear's to get stopped quickly.

But, if money is no object, there is a rear hydralic brake assembly in Dirt Wheels. I see it in there just about anytime I look through, but I dont have one handy right now so I can't tell ya the name of the company!
Old 01-11-2002, 11:47 PM   #3

View slickrick's Photo Gallery(0)

I have to say that while the breaks on the Blaster are not the best I don't have issue with them. I ride it for all it's worth and hang with the big boys and have to use the break now and then ;=) I don't usually use the rear breaks anyway, I tend to use the front.
slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 01:25 AM   #4

View PhResTyL28's Photo Gallery(0)

adjust them of replace them. take apart the caliper and heabily oil everything and replace some parts. as for the frons...adjust them or get new pads. these things require regular maintnence.
2004 YFZ450 D34 MX #21
PhResTyL28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 01:29 AM   #5

View siredward20's Photo Gallery(0)

just take em apart and clean them real good with brake cleaner, take the brake pads out and lube the housing with a little grease. then adjust them so that they almost rub without hitting the brakes, i did this with mine and theyre as good as new, or what i plan on doing is, go to a local junkyard and see if they have any old motorcycles, take the hyd brake off that and with some modifications, put it on your blaster
uni filter
18" fast trekkers
flipped front rims

'03 crf150(r) all BBR'd up
(for me to race!!)

'01 xrfiddy
bunch of homemade crap on it

'90 banshee
dune ready

'82 yami g1 golf cart with a 15" lift, 25" bear claws, and a suzuki lt230 jammed inside
siredward20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 06:14 PM   #6

View RedBlaster38's Photo Gallery(0)

Trenga Racing makes a good hydrolic brake setup for the blaster. Go to Trenga Racing.com and look at the V3 Hydrolic brakes
RedBlaster38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 06:56 PM   #7

View LSRBlaster3's Photo Gallery(0)

my brakes use to lock up and stick so i took them apart and cleaned all the parts with a wire brush and WD-40 then put alot of grease all over everything and they havnt gotten stuck since. but if you have the money i would reccomend the trenga hydrolics.
LSRBlaster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 09:07 PM   #8

View Bluetraxx_member's Photo Gallery(0)

obvioulsy blaster brakes suck as we know but the problem is in the self adjuster mechanism inside the housing. My uncle played around in there and he had it fixed so now my brakes work almost as good as hydrolic.i will find out exactly what he did and post it.
Bluetraxx_member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 10:03 PM   #9

View blk02banshee's Photo Gallery(0)

When I had my blaster, I found that it was the cables that would make the brakes not work.I had to replace them 6 times in 6 years. If I were you, I'd try to get that hydraulic setup from Trenga.
blk02banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 05:25 PM   #10

View Massblaster's Photo Gallery(0)

I had to replace my cable too, but once i did that and cleaned out the housing the thing worked great. You have to adjust it so the brake drags and just let it ware the pad a little then it is perfect locking tires on pavement is no problem. Having the brakes work good requires that you adjust it alot and you might have to replace the pads a little more often, but a kid died a little while ago because the rear brakes on his friends warrior didnt work and he was riding on the back and got basicly decapitated.
Old 01-14-2002, 07:22 PM   #11

View BlueOval's Photo Gallery(0)

He who does not own tools cannot own a Blaster.

What I did, is shortened my rear brake cable and used vaseline on the bore for the brake pad. I cut down the brake cable and put a bead of weld on the forward end of the cable. Now my rear brake works great.
BlueOval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:45 PM   #12

View burnout189's Photo Gallery(0)

http://blasterzone.com u can get a hydrualic kit there
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:56 PM   #13

View BlueBlast's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by burnout189
http://blasterzone.com u can get a hydrualic kit there
They make the best kit out of them all...I had it..worked awesome
BlueBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 11:19 AM   #14

View Dunatix3's Photo Gallery(0)

For all the brake kits I have looked at, this one seems to be the best. The setup looks stock, the reservoir is mounted high along with the acturator assy. I have "heard" that the trenga/blasterzone, needs lots of cleaning when riding in bad conditions due to mounting on the frame. If you don't ride in bad conditions, it should be okay, any hydraulic setup would be better than the stock mechanical, the east coast atv looks to be the best. http://www.eastcoastatv.com/blasterbrakes.htm
Dunatix3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present)

Search tags for this page

yamaha blaster rear brake adjustment

how to fix yamaha blaster brakes

how to adjust front brakes on yamaha blaster

how to adjust blaster rear brakes

adjust brakes on yamaha blaster

yamaha blaster rear brake assembly

yamaha blaster rear brake poor

yamaha blaster problems
rear brake setup on 2001 blaster
brake is sticking on my 2004 yamaha blaster
brakes not working 2003 blastet
trenga racing brakes blaster
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.