Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

Injection VS. Premix, Please look!

This is a discussion on Injection VS. Premix, Please look! within the Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; I tried a search, but couldn't find what I needed. I have heard that stock oil injectors are reliable enough that you don't have to ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2003, 01:11 AM   #1

View Dunatik's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Injection VS. Premix, Please look!

I tried a search, but couldn't find what I needed.

I have heard that stock oil injectors are reliable enough that you don't have to take them off, but the only way to see if it's working is too see if the oil level goes down, but that is practically impossible when you are riding. So it can stop and your stuck out in the middle of nowhere and have to go home and not ride anymore since you need a rebuild.

Going with premix, you lose the injection and have added reliability, but you have to get extra gas cans (parents have Warriors) and you are always mixing gas and oil, which can't be that hard. But with premix, I heard that if it sits for a bit, the gas and oil can seperate and cause some damage to your engine.

So what are the pros and cons of both injection and premix, what is the better way to go, and what would I have to do to my quad if I switched?

`92 Banshee
`04 YZ250F
`06 YFZ450 SE

Dunatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 01:51 AM   #2
Primo Member

Premium Member
View raptor8's Photo Gallery(0)

Ive owned several Yams over the years and never had a problem with the pump. I LIKE carrying only one gas can.
Some ppl say theyve failed...so it's up to you.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:48 AM   #3

View 42F67N's Photo Gallery(0)

I like the oil injection for a few diffrent reasons like if we go riding far and gas runs low we can hit a gas station and fill back up without having to worry about how to premix your fuel.

After sitting in your garage for a while with premix in the tank the fuel and oil will seperate ,like with my dirtbike i allways shoke it from side to side then topped off the tank to try to mix it back up.

Pre mix might be safer as far as not worrying about the pump dying but its a pain in the ass u have to mix it if its not perfect it fouls plugs,smokes like crazy my blaster never fouls a plug,my dirtbikes did.

On my blaster i have a black line i made with a sharpie marker across the tank before i ride i refill the oil tank right to the line,after riding for a little bit i stop and check it that works for me.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:11 AM   #4

View blaster101's Photo Gallery(0)

I've been using premix for awhile and never had a problem. I do seem to have a problem when I don't ride for like a month or two and I try to start the bike. I just shake it back and forth and that usually does the trick. Mixing the gas aint really that hard, takes like 2 minutes. I trust running premix because I know for a fact that the oil is getting in there. I never did like oil injecters, but that's just me.
blaster101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 04:58 PM   #5

View ZachM31's Photo Gallery(0)

if u pull the pump u will gain a tiny bit of power wont u?? cuz the pump runs off the crank.... i might pull my pump off...injector oil is like a $1 more than premix.
ZachM31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 11:46 PM   #6

View blasterboy88's Photo Gallery(0)

I run pre-mix, and have for about two years with out one single problem. Before, I would foul plugs like a mother, like you wouldnt believe. Finally I bought some Yamalube 2-stroke and mixed it up. Since then, I have only fouled a few plugs since then. BTW i run 40:1.

1985 Dodge Ram 4x4
Currently building up...

1984 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4
blasterboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 12:21 AM   #7
Primo Member

Premium Member
View raptor8's Photo Gallery(0)

I really doubt that you'll notice a difference in poerformance by removing th pump....
Old 08-30-2003, 12:40 AM   #8

View jthreem's Photo Gallery(0)

youre not going to gain any performance by removing the oil injector. i just never trusted the thing. i took it off my lil brothers blaster the first day he got it. we run 32:1 in it w/ klotz techniplate oil. never have a problem w/ fouling plugs.

~jason.
jthreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 03:57 PM   #9

View 250rAL's Photo Gallery(0)

Go premix. The injector mixes it way too rich. We run Yamalube 32:1 in my son's Blaster. I agree that you won't get a performance increase from removing the drag of the pump but our machine sure seemed to run better, crisper with less oil to burn. You also have less of an oil mess at the end of the pipe and anywhere else the oil can get out. And several pounds less weight to carry around.
36PJ Keihin
K&N
Boyesen reeds
Roost Boost
Answer bars
OMF swingarm skid

Three Wheelin' Since '84
250rAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 04:08 PM   #10

View Tease405's Photo Gallery(0)

I used the injector the entire time I owned my Blaster and never had a problem. My dad still has his and he is running with injected oil and not a problem to be seen (now that I have said that, BOOM she goes, right...).

So I would say it is reliable. Besides, if it was not Yamaha would have removed them a long time ago. Look at what they did with the Raptor Tranny problem. It is not like it would be hard to make a blaster pre-mix only from the factory. And the banshee is, so why not the blaster too if it was a problem... :cool:

Looking for an 2005 Raptor Parking Brake System. PM me if you got one (only looking for Raptor and only 2005)
http://www.bluetraxx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=68122

A wise man once said "Maybe it was you, maybe it was the bike, either way, you lost."
Tease405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 06:01 PM   #11

View Blastermaster58's Photo Gallery(0)

If you do go premix, how do you block off the hole that it goes through to get to the crank?? Id rather just dump the oil in the injector and not have to worry. I dont foul plugs (maybe u guys werent riding them hard enough). I do clean them once and a while, but thats just a manditory thing. Id keep it on there to not have to worry about it. I also agree that it is convenient to pull up to a gas station and fill up with no worries. O well, your choice!

But I have a car now! 95 Tsi AWD Talon
Blastermaster58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:24 PM   #12

View ZachM31's Photo Gallery(0)

does everything from the pump to the injector oil tank get pulled off? then that little plate they give u just goes where the pump was??
ZachM31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFS200 Blaster ('88-Present)

Search tags for this page

i still have oil injection on my blaster can i run klotz

running premix on a blaster

how do i pre mix gas for my blaster

what does a banshee do if you foul a plug
2003 blaster premix
how to make a blaster premix
can i block off my oil injector an premix in a yamaha blaster
yamalube 2r injection
run premix in blaster
do i have to premix the gas in the gas tank on a yamaha blaster
yamaha blaster premixing jet
can i just start premixing my fuel on my 2002 blaster
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.