Yamaha Sport ATV Forum

what causes thrown rod?

This is a discussion on what causes thrown rod? within the Yamaha YFM660R Raptor (2001-2005) forums, part of the Performance /Technical category; i reacentley got another 03 raptor 660 and it had threw a rod through the cases i have replaced it but im wondering what caused ...

Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM660R Raptor (2001-2005)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #1

View joey moheit's Photo Gallery(0)
Default what causes thrown rod?

i reacentley got another 03 raptor 660 and it had threw a rod through the cases i have replaced it but im wondering what caused this ? the oil pump works . i noticed a dent in the radiator but no leeks would that caus it to over heat and throw a rod ? the one way is great the clutch plate on the back was shattered . the piston and jug were stock and are again stock with high com piston 11.1-1 i dont want to start it and have it fall apart is there anything i should cheak first ?
joey moheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
Primo Member

Premium Member
View motorhead's Photo Gallery(6)

Did this engine have the hotrods crankshaft like explained in your other posts? Also was it an oem replacement or stroker crank? Fill us all in with as much info as possible.
Trailtech flywheel
Trinity stage IV Exhaust
Yukon gears +2 Arms +4.5 swingarm 450 shocks
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Crowd Control

Premium Member
View diggerzmound's Photo Gallery(14)

Usually over-revving. Big cams let the engine spin faster and high compression puts more stress on things.
94' Banshee T-5's, Vforce, ported, Cool HEad, 2-1
06' Wolverine - Stock!
06' Rhino 450
06' LTZ 440
diggerzmound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Primo Member

Premium Member
View leveldrummer's Photo Gallery(0)

simple things like never changing the oil, never cleaning the air filter and stuff can easily blow an engine up, runnign with no oil, or no water, or even sometimes, it just happens, machines and going to fail, and sometimes they fail catastrophically... which is the perfect definition of a thrown rod. something broke, and a chain reaction leads to all hell breaking loose.
leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #5

the motor was blown when i got it and it was a stock crank oem.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:25 AM   #6
Primo Member

Premium Member
View 03LimitedEditionRaptor's Photo Gallery(0)

I would say over reving is the biggest problem.

97 Yamaha Banshee - F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill Stroker, CPI Pipes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup,
158 main jets, CEL Needles on the middle clip, 45 Pilots.
03LimitedEditionRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #7

View heater's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by leveldrummer View Post
simple things like never changing the oil, never cleaning the air filter and stuff can easily blow an engine up, runnign with no oil, or no water, or even sometimes, it just happens, machines and going to fail, and sometimes they fail catastrophically... which is the perfect definition of a thrown rod. something broke, and a chain reaction leads to all hell breaking loose.
please explain how a dirty air filter can cause a rod to snap? i have heard it all now....over reving the motor causes rods to snap end of story
heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
Primo Member

Premium Member
View 03LimitedEditionRaptor's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by heater View Post

please explain how a dirty air filter can cause a rod to snap? i have heard it all now....over reving the motor causes rods to snap end of story
The dirt builds up on the bottom of the cylinder. Pretty soon the bottom of the cylinder is necked clear down. Then as the conectiong rod is rotating, the conecting rod hits the hard dirt ring.

97 Yamaha Banshee - F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill Stroker, CPI Pipes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup,
158 main jets, CEL Needles on the middle clip, 45 Pilots.
03LimitedEditionRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
Primo Member

Premium Member
View leveldrummer's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by heater View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by leveldrummer View Post
when all the sticky oil has dirt packed into it, then dust gets through, into the cylinder, scratches it up, causes lock up, and catastrophic engine failure, sure it wont just cause the crank to snap, but it can sure ruin an engine, and cause failure, which will lead to a crank breaking etc...

point is, lots of things cause engines to blow,
leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #10

the silinder and piston were dameged. but i was just wondering i realy dont want that to happen to me . i took it out the other day it did realy well till i tried to climb a 9' hill it started to slow down so i hit the throttle and almost fliped it . i got it down and when it died i restarted it and it ran good but i knew something was wrong cheaked the timeing and my woodruf key was sheered the flywheel was spining every once and a while it would catch . i built the bottom end and put the flywheel on but dident torque it up becaus the top end wasent on and its easier to get it torqued up as a compleat motor for me anyways . but i got a key today and its back up and running .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha ATV Forum > Performance /Technical > Yamaha YFM660R Raptor (2001-2005)

Tags
crank rod, thrown rod

Search tags for this page

what causes an engine to throw a rod

throw a rod definition

what causes a blown piston rod
atv threw a rod
what causes an engine to blow a rod
cause for snap piston rod
yamaha thrown rod
what causes an engine rod to blow
cause of thrown rod
blown rod in engine cause
what would cause a brand new engine to throw a rod
what cause a engine rod to snap
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.